[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - FC6 and disk larger than 2 terabytes

FC6 and disk larger than 2 terabytes

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

FC6 and disk larger than 2 terabytes

Postby Basher52 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:36 am

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:54 am

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Basher52 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:38 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:41 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:33 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:38 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:07 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:15 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:35 am

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:02 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 am

well, I don't have to have one giant disk, but I have to have one big disk from the RAID card, after that I can, and I was trying to, partition the disk, but not fdisk nor parted could get the last cylinders of that big device
so I hade to partition it in in the RAID setup.

The problem is that if I don't have only one big disk created in the RAID I can't add more disks to it, at least as I've understood it, but I think I'm gonna mail support and ask just to be sure.

In the picture below I partitoned the disks in 3 parts
One is 1Tbytes and the other 2 equally 768Gb.

When I'm suppoed to add more disks I have to "mark" on the the RAID array and then add the disk, but since the arrays are NOT equal to the HDD size of 500Gb I can't add the disk, but as I said, I'm gonna email support and ask just in case. But my tests of the other array of disks point to the fact that I am correct in my assumption

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:53 am

Can I ask you what the make/model is of your RAID controller? I see you are using RAID5 and you have 6 500GB drives attached. If I understand your issue you want to be able to add more disks at some point in the future and expand the size of the logical volume on your controller at that time. You claim you can do this if you create one large logical volume but not two smaller logical volumes. Do I have this correct? I would like to do some research on the issue if I can get your make/model.

Will it only allow you to create a single RAID set? That would be odd. For example with your 6 disks you should be able to create 2 stripe sets of 3 disks each and give you two logical disks of 1.5TB each (you don't have fault tolerance of course but this is just an example). Or with 2 more disks you could have 2 RAID5 logical disks at 1.5TB each. With 4 more disks you could have 2 2TB logical volumes. It would seem odd if you can't do that.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:31 am

The controller is a HighPoint RocketRaid 2340. http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2340.htm

And yes you understood me correct :)
I have more than one RAID set, just created another 800Gb RAID 5 of 5 200Gb disks.

What I was hoping to accomplish is that if I add more disks all the partitions of that array will get bigger in size.
Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:56 am

It looks like you would have been better off buying a lot more smaller disks so you could have created more smaller RAID sets. It will be interesting to hear if the manufacturer has any suggestions for you.
Last edited by Void Main on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Fedora/Red Hat