Fedora! Come back! all is forgiven! (+ azureus grumbles)

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Calum
guru
guru

Fedora! Come back! all is forgiven! (+ azureus grumbles)

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:01 am

I'm back to Fedora!

Fedora 6 and i like it! it has xfce on the actual dvd, it offers to add yum repositories and checks for updates as part of the install, it sorted out my cable modem and my usbdisk perfectly, and it actually hass all my favourite apps that i usually have to track down for weeks and install myself!

now, my main two issues which i thought i would ask about here:

1) Azureus - it has installed fine (from the fedora dvd), but does not work. i can post error messages which relate to the java interpreter, but has anybody got azureus working under fedora? if so, any hints or howtos?

2) apt - i like apt! i was dismayed to find that many of the apt for rpm repositories have been discontinued around FC3 or 4. The freshrpms site even went so far as to tell me i should prefer yum over apt! what's going on! do i have to use yum now?

what are other people here doing re: apt / yum and what repos should i be using and/or avoiding?
Last edited by Calum on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:25 am

I had it running (azureus).

I had to install Azureus first, then JRE. After that, it seemed to work all right.

Here's a little how to that I found hat looks reasonably what I had to go through. It's written by a noob, but I'm at work, so I can't check for you. It looks right though.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/i ... 42448.html

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:14 am

I have actually switched over to using "smart" so I can use both apt and yum repositories (it actually supports other types of repos as well). It also has a nice GUI (smart --gui). You can also put priorities on repositories and do other things. It sort of combines apt and yum and probably does a little better job with dependencies.. I also use the ATrpms and Fedora-Extra repos now as ATrpms has good MythTV rpms.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:00 pm

excellent. i have reinstalled yum for now, but i will probably take your recommendation there. nice to hear you use the fedora extras repo since last i heard it was one of the ones that didn't work well with everybody else's (i think)

thanks both!

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 pm

well i did install azureus using the instructions there, but was having problems with the newer sun java (it's been updated since that howto was written) so left my old java installed and just deleted my ~/.azureus and existing temp folder and tried it and hey presto it worked! had to free up the right port in the firewall (which is sheer mystical esoterica to me i'm ashamed to say) and i'm away! the only thing is it's now installed in /opt/azureus which is sensible (since it's not an rpm). That sort of thing used to really bug me but actually it's a good thing because it gave me the opportunity to put a little script into /usr/local/bin which starts azureus and opens the download directory in thunar at the same time! wahey! it's all good!

now i just have to figure out a way to fix the libmp3lame0 conflict with lame problem (libmp3lame0 is a dependency of mplayer but i want lame installed instead so i can have a working /usr/bin/lame - not actually to use, i prefer gogo (or blade! oops, forgot we're not allowed to use that one outside brazil, are we?) but i feel like i should have them all for testing purposes.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:28 am

actually azureus is really rotten on fedora. it's probably nothing to do with fedora mind you, but i keep getting all sorts of errors for seemingly no reason, different ones as well. Also the gui not only goes painfully slow but appears to slow up everything else currently running as well. this suggests it is too cpu or ram intensive for my preference.

i tried bittorrent (with bittorrent-gui) instead and found it to be simple and easy. Many bells and whistles missing that were in azureus, so perhaps this is what makes bittorrent work and azureus rotten. I probably only notice because i have only got a 700MHz CPU and "only" 640MB of ram. maybe it's because azureus is written in java and bittorrent appears to be python, i don't know.

anyway...

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:03 am

The problem I ran into was that Fedora ships with some sort of GNU java compatibility gubbins that doesn't really work as it should. What I had to do was install Sun's proper JRE, then go find 'azureus'. By azureus I mean the actual script that launches azureus, I guess you have it at /usr/bin/azureus.

Open in a text editor and one of the first few lines specifies the location of your java binary. I had to set this appropriately and then things worked more smoothly.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:41 am

Tux wrote:The problem I ran into was that Fedora ships with some sort of GNU java compatibility gubbins that doesn't really work as it should. What I had to do was install Sun's proper JRE, then go find 'azureus'. By azureus I mean the actual script that launches azureus, I guess you have it at /usr/bin/azureus.

Open in a text editor and one of the first few lines specifies the location of your java binary. I had to set this appropriately and then things worked more smoothly.
I always symbolic link all of the binaries from Sun's java into /usr/bin replacing that java compat stuff. Everything Java based has always worked fine for me doing that. By fine I mean "as well as can be expected" for that particular app. :)

e.g.
# ln -sf /opt/jdk1.6.0/bin/* /usr/bin