Oh lawdy is this system even bloody Fedora!

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
X11
guru
guru

Oh lawdy is this system even bloody Fedora!

Post by X11 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Why does /etc/sysconfig/rhn exist and contain files named up2date.

I know what this smells like well because as a teenager for a while I would just order the latest red-hat and have a nice system. When kids could afford red-hat that is.

Code: Select all

[root@pusa3 rhn]# cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
That was my past solution to knowing the system was Fedora.

Sorry with all these questions its just that Monk's are not computer experts and language barriers and oh god I have the most fun job in the world, etc.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:46 pm

They used to include up2date with the earlier versions of Fedora. You can remove it if you don't use it (why would you use it?).

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:09 pm

It's not my system, but I think up2date is used to update it yearly. I'll write some scripts for cron when I'm safe with Linux again.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:50 pm

void, on a related note, i've removed apt since nobody supports it, and i still think yum sucks no matter what anybody says so just a reminder, what do you use now? i think it's probably worth trying whatever you use since to be honest that's always turned out to be my favourite in any version of red hat i have used. ta in advance.

sorry to hijack the thread, X11.

by the way why up2date yearly? that seems even sillier than not updating it at all (if possible)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm

Actually there is no need to ditch apt. The apt included with F7 supports yum repositories (I think it also did in FC6). I used yum to upgrade my machine and I continue to use my same "apt dist-upgrade" scripts from cron to keep my systems up to date that I have been using since Red Hat 8.0 (or earlier):

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/scr ... st-upgrade

Here is an example of the fedora yum repo:
[fedora]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f ... search/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirror ... =$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
And here is the equivalent apt sources.list config for the same exact repo:
repomd http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/ fedora/linux/releases/$(VERSION)/Everything/$(ARCH)/os/
Notice instead of the apt config line starting out with "rpm" which is what you would need for an apt repository it starts with "repomd" which is a metadata repository that yum uses. So this is good news, I still get to use apt. yum has improved a little, it's not as slow as it used to be and I like the way it fails over to mirror repos and you can ^C out of a slow downloading one and it will move to the next mirror and continue the download. "smartpm" is also still a good installer. I'll use any of them but would have been just as happy (or happier) if they would have just went with apt from the very beginning like they should have.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:46 am

i 100% agree. well, i am using FC6 so hopefully i can reinstall apt (i might repartition my hard drive actually. i gleefully deleted windows now my course has finished but will probably have to reinstall it for the next one, but have changed my mind about how many gigabytes each O/S needs) and it will "just work". Will you, by any chance, write a tutorial on this, similar to your RH8/RH9 ones? i didn't see the point in you writing one for every distro but now this has changed i do think it'd be worthwhile to see one that covers this new situation, i think it'd help people who are fairly new to it all anyway.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:01 am

Maybe I'll find some time to do a tip on the new changes. There are probably other things that need to be done before that but I've been WAAAAY to lazy to do anything at all the last few years.