unable to install F7

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

unable to install F7

Post by dishawjp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:40 am

Hi All,

Well, a couple of weeks ago I cleared out a nice 80 GB partition on sda, downloaded and burned the F7 i386 DVD .iso. I sat down, happier than a pig in poop, with a cold 12-pack of LaBatts and a free afternoon, ready to do a nice clean F7 install. My joy ended about 30 seconds into the install with the following bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/sh ... ?id=242229

I was hoping that a solution or work-around would have come up, but so far, unless I want to go for an upgrade of my FC6 install, which I don't, I haven't found anything that works. Lots of suggestions,,, no workable solutions. I suppose that as a last resort, I could install FC6 on that partition and then go the upgrade route, but that seems to be a pretty ridiculous way to go. It wouldn't be too bad if I knew that once this bug were fixed that there'd be a respin .iso available, but that doesn't usually happen.

Any thoughts here? I have an ASUS P5LD2 mobo, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.4 GHz CPU, and the "normal" other stuff that works perfectly with the other two distros I have installed.

Oh, I do want to stick to the 32 bit release with the smp kernel for now. But for giggles, I did try to download and install the 64 bit release but had the same results.

Worst case, I'll wait for F8, but if I do, this will be the first RH/FC release I didn't use since RH 7.x :-( I was new to Linux at the time, had a crappy computer, and stuck with RH 6.2 until RH 8 came out.

TIA,

Jim

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:57 am

That's too bad Jim. I just upgraded my 6th machine at home last night. So far I have not actually done a single upgrade from the CD/DVD, all were "yum upgrade" procedures. In fact the machine I upgraded last night was my daughter's laptop which still had FC5 on it. I'm getting pretty good at doing the yum upgrades.

If you did go that route you could upgrade your system but instead of going with the F7 kernel you could stick with the latest FC6 kernel. If you wanted to then take it a step further and reconfigure/rebuild the F7 kernel and install it you could. I had to actually do that on the Void Main web server because for some reason my native SCSI drive and the IDE drive clash and the default F7 kernel will only see my native SCSI drive. I upgraded everything but the kernel and then rebuild the F7 kernel and turned on the old IDE drivers so the drive shows up again as /dev/hda rather than /dev/sda which is how the new kernel would have listed it (everything shows up as SCSI with libata).

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks Void!

I may end up going that route, though it seems a shame to have to do a full FC6 install, get all the updates to that and then another yum upgrade to get to F7. But looking at the bright side, I may need a free afternoon and a CASE of cold ones rather than just a 12 pack :-) I don't know about your experiences, but for me, upgrades always seem to take a heck of a lot longer than installs.

Jim

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 am

I'm not sure why you would do an FC6 install. Don't you already have FC6 installed?