[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - automounting USB drives

automounting USB drives

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

automounting USB drives

Postby Calum » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:59 am

hi! Fedora 6.

Okay, so i have more than one external usb storage device. In particular there's a TEAC floppy drive and a 40GB external hard drive, that are going to always be plugged in, and there are the camera and USB stick which will be ocassionally plugged in. My question is, how can i get the hard drive and floppy drive to always mount on the same mount locations? fedora is doing this via something, hal? something other than just sticking it into the fstab anyway. Any pointers towards a nice easy howto i can read to get to grips with this?

thanks.
Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:19 am

On my USB hard drive I have it labeled (ext3 file system with label). It always mounts under /media/labelname. I'm pretty sure it does it with labels on other file system types as well. I thought my floppy drive mounts under /media/floppy. Yours is different?
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:31 am

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:23 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:17 am

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Tux » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:09 pm

What desktop environment do you use?
I know in KDE, for example that you can right click on the icon of an automount device navigate to properties and set a persistent mount location, permissions etc.

If you don't then you need to delve into the udev mount rules yourself.
sets you in the right track but you have to use your common, as always.
Tux
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:54 pm

So setting the label on the file system on your hard drive did not work? Maybe that's new in Fedora 7. It seems like forever ago since I've run Fedora 6. :) What file system is on that partition and what is the label set to?
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:26 am

okay. thanks for the replies.

I haven't actually done anything yet. i hadn't got round to taking any action, and then saw your reply void main, and thought i might as well reply too.

So, i need to set a label for each volume, and specify a mountpoint based on the labels? I can look that up i am sure.

re: the volumes, the USB HDD is currently one partition of vfat but i am thinking of changing it to be ext3 (again one partition). Would that change require relabeling and so on, assuming i do the reformat to ext3 after i sort out the mounting? I imagine so.

Re: desktop environment, i use gnome, and don't have KDE installed, and don't really want to, i don't think i have space for it! I also have xfce installed, and prefer its components to gnome's. I really don't like fiddling with mounting and things within the desktop environment though because in my opinion it's not a UI issue, it is an admin/config issue. Also, things set up within a UI are usually user specific, no? I really don't like using graphical tools as root, not for any real reason, i just feel like it's "wrong".
Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:35 am

The label is part of the file system so if you create a new file system you would have to label it. To do this with ext2/ext3 you would use the "e2label" command (or tune2fs). For a FAT file system you would use "dosfslabel", ntfs = ntfslabel (assuming you have the proper packages installed).

Now, what I was referring to before about mounting automatically under /media/labelname was in the case of plugging a USB drive in while your system is already up and you are logged in. I see now that you want this to work at boot time. I "believe" all you should have to do is add /etc/fstab entries using the "LABEL=labelname" syntax. I will test this tonight to make sure.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:33 am

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:56 am