Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
insomnia
programmer
programmer

Fedora 8

Post by insomnia » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:04 am

Fedora 8 (codename Werewolf) released.

Features:
*This release features GNOME 2.20. GNOME now includes mail notification in the Evolution mail client, the ability to fill in PDF forms in the Evince document viewer, improved file management, a revamped Appearance control panel applet, a revised help system, and many other enhancements.

*Online Desktop provides a desktop experience designed around online services. A preview of Online Desktop is provided via BigBoard, which is a optional sidebar in GNOME.

*KDE 3.5.8 is available in the KDE Live image as well as the regular DVD. The KDE 4 (Beta) Development Environment is available in the repository.

*Xfce 4.4.1 is available as part of this release.

*NetworkManager 0.7 provides improved wireless network management support. It includes support for multiple devices and provides the capability of system-wide configuration, among many other enhancements.

*PulseAudio is now installed and enabled by default. PulseAudio is an advanced sound server compatible with nearly all existing Linux sound systems. PulseAudio allows for hot-switching audio outputs, individual volume controls for each audio stream, networked audio, and more.

*CodecBuddy is now included, and promotes free, superior quality, open formats to end users trying to play multimedia content under patent encumbered or proprietary formats.

*Compiz Fusion, the compositing window manager that re-merges Compiz and Beryl, is installed by default. To enable Compiz Fusion in GNOME, use the System → Preferences → Desktop Effects tool. Ongoing, long term Xorg work continues to enable Compiz by default.

*The completely free and open source Java environment called IcedTea is installed by default. IcedTea is derived from OpenJDK, includes a browser plugin based on GCJ, and is available for both x86 and x86_64 architectures. GCJ is still the default on PPC architecture.

*OpenOffice.org 2.3, with many new features, is available as part of Fedora 8.

*Bluetooth devices and tools now have better graphical and system integration.

*Laptop users benefit from the "quirks" feature in HAL, including better suspend/resume and multimedia keyboard support.

*There is now improved power management thanks to both a tickless kernel in x86 and x86_64 architectures, and a reduction in unnecessary processor wakeups via powertop.

*This release of Fedora has a new look and feel, called Infinity, from the Fedora Art team.

*Nodoka, a fresh new GNOME theme created specially for Fedora, is available in this release.

*A new online browser home page, http://start.fedoraproject.org, appears in this release.

*Fedora continues to improve its many proactive security features, and FORTIFY_SOURCE has now been enhanced to cover C++ in addition to C, which prevents many security exploits.
A brand new graphical firewall configuration tool, system-config-firewall, replaces system-config-securitylevel.

*This release offers Kiosk functionality via SELinux, among many new enhancements and security policy changes.

*The glibc package in Fedora 8 now has support for passwords using SHA256 and SHA512 hashing. Before only DES and MD5 were available. The tools to create passwords have not been extended yet, but if such passwords are created in others ways, glibc will recognize and honor them.

*Secure remote management capability is now provided for Xen, KVM, and QEMU in Fedora 8 virtualization.

*Eclipse 3.3 (Europa), a new release of the acclaimed development platform, is available as part of this release.

*In this release, the performance of yum, Pirut, and Pup have been significantly improved.

*The Add/Remove Programs tool, pirut, introduces a new graphical interface for managing software repositories. Use Edit → Repositories to enable/disable any of the installed software repositories.

*Live installations are faster and require a smaller root filesystem. The file system layout has also changed somewhat. System files for the Live images are now under LiveOS/, and a new README file has been provided as a short introduction to the live image.

*Transifex provides a web-based translation interface to allow users to contribute translation work for Fedora hosted projects as well as being able to provide translations to upstream directly to any upstream project.

*Integration of unique build IDs into Fedora's software building infrastructure now provides enhanced debugging capabilities and core dumps.

*Fedora now offers easier rebranding of Fedora derivatives via a generic-logos software package. Changes in Fedora's mirror structure also make creation of derivatives easier.

*The pam_console module usage has been removed in favor of access control via HAL, which modernizes the desktop.

*Fedora 8 features a 2.6.23 based kernel.
http://fedoraproject.org/

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:13 am

i'm already 56% thru the download

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:42 am

Man, I'm getting slow!! You guys are too quick for me! :) I better start a new thread so you can start your comments on it. In fact I'll just sticky this one.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:08 am

posting this from a updated Fedora 8

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:42 am

Anything worth noting so far? I downloaded the DVD last night (in just a little over an hour) but haven't burned it yet. I'll probably upgrade some things tonight.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:05 am

so far just usual improvements to look and feel "polish" .. just started using will give update if find anything worth mentioning

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:07 am

I just tried to upgrade my laptop from F7 to F8 via DVD and was not successful. It gets about 29% through the checking of the dependencies and never gets any farther. I tried both graphical and text mode and let it run all night and the progress bar never moved. Looks like I have a little research to do, bummer. Guess I'll try the yum upgrade:

http://fedora-tutorials.com/2007/11/10/ ... asy-steps/
http://fedora-tutorials.com/2007/11/04/ ... installed/

Wish people would talk more about how to do a YUM upgrade but using your DVD image as the yum repository. Maybe I'll have to do another tip... as soon as I figure out the easiest way that is...

EDIT: Guess this looks like pretty good info for the DVD repo:
http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Ok, here's what I'm doing to upgrade:

# mkdir -p /dvd/f8
# mount /dev/dvd /dvd/f8
# rpm -Uvh /dvd/f8/Packages/fedora-release*
# vim /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo

Comment out the baseurl and mirrorlist for the [fedora] repo section and add this:

baseurl=file:///dvd/f8/

Then "yum update".

EDIT: I have the same problem with never ending loop during dependency check. Looks like I am not the only one:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=366641

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Dang, guess I have to hold off until someone has a resolution for this dependency issue. Maybe I'll have to wait for F9. Bummer!!

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:06 pm

I tried to do a YUM upgrade over the net. Told me i had to remove ffmpeg, libquicktime, kino... which in turn i had to remove mplayer, any non-free plugins (xine and amarok). I read up a bit and it seems that after i upgrade i should be able to reinstall these, but they need to be removed because of a wierd way x264 package upgrades.

So i started it, yum dled everything, started installling, then ran out of room while installing. I'm going to move my /var dir to my multimedia HD (200GB versus my 10GB root drive) so the packages dled wont be on the root system.

This is going to be done tonight hopefully. Also while i was at it i install CentOS 5 on my server.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:00 pm

just as an update i did my upgrade from fedora 7 to fedora 8 via dvd boot and had no issues

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:38 pm

Lucky!

There are several bugs covering my problem in bugzilla. Here is another one:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=372011

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Posting this from my F8 laptop. In my previous post above there is a link to a bugzilla article and there is an update image that fixes the installation problem.

Here is the update image:
http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/updates-f8-yumloop.img

Here is how to use it:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:39 am

so far just usual improvements to look and feel "polish"
in the last year or so, Poland's inclusion into the EU has meant a large number of Polish settlers in this country, so i would imagine this new Fedora 8 would be the perfect OS for them...