advanced spam filtering?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
byrdman
administrator
administrator

advanced spam filtering?

Post by byrdman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:50 am

Anyone know if I can put something in my access file in sendmail that would drop any email inbound where the username contained a dash. The domain I am talking about does not have any dashes (-) in the emails, yet spammers are hitting this domain with usenames that have dashes.
So my thinking was to have something like: *-*@domain.com REJECT.

The reason I want to try and do this is because the mail gets passed into the corporate servers because sendmail is allowing all emails with '@domain.com' to come in. The corporate email servers then bounce them back to invalid return SMTP addresses, thus getting stuck in the queue and filiing up the root mbox.

Any ideas?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:18 pm

I don't think by default you can use wildcards/regexs in the access file. You should be able to do it in your spamassassin rules (if you use spamassasin). Also, there is another regex milter (milter-regex) that I have not used but looks like it should also do the trick:

http://www.benzedrine.cx/milter-regex.html

I use spamassassin (spamassassin, spamass-milter, spamd). I have never created any specific rule to reject on a from address regex but I think I could.

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:12 am

I will check out the regex milter but I was hoping for something easy that can be done every so often. I don't think they want to use SpamAssisin right now because they don't have the means/resources to administer it once I am gone...