KDE 4.x in fedora 9

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

KDE 4.x in fedora 9

Post by cdhgold » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:50 pm

this is partly to answer a question and partly to see if anyone is still reading out there.

i'm using foedora9 on a dual head system at home and KDE 4.X muti - display support blows .. my primary screen is fine but secondary just shows background image not usable desktop and the ability under KDE3.5X to set a different background per virtual desktop is no where to be found.

anybody heard when the are going to get this stuff working and get KDE4.X right and up to same level as 3.5X

until they get KDE4.X right I'm sticking to GNOME in fedora 9

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 pm

What version of KDE4 does Fedora ship with, is it 4.0 or 4.1?
I remember reading about problems with dual displays in KDE 4.0 but in 4.1 they shouldhave been fixed.
Did you use krandrtray to configure your desktop(s) or did you edit xorg.conf?

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:19 pm

it shipped with 4.0 but updates took it to 4.1 .. used neither to configure .. both displays picked up by nvidia config ( using dual head nvidia card with nvidia drivers) .. no manual config done for GNOME

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Try krandrtray, it has options to configure dual head setups.
I know of two cases where dual heads were sucesfully configured with it under kde 4.1, with a little luck it might work for you.

In my case I used krandrtray to get my screen resolution permanent because no matter how hard I edited xorg.conf every time I rebooted my box the resolution was back to 800x600!!! Once I did it with krandrtray it stayed ... go figure.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:14 pm

thanks for the tip will update with results .. nice to see some activity on this forum

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:12 pm

I've also been wondering about the "inactivity" lately but I like to think that we've all reached some point where we don't need Void Main's help every 5 minutes anymore (although I mostly speak for myself here) :D
One could also assume that linux as a whole is much more mature than it was 5 or 6 years ago.

I remember the days where I was about to give up on Suse and Void Main litterally took me by the hand and guided me all the way to a fully functional Red Hat 8!!
Now it all seems like a piece of cake most of the time.

I will never be able to thank you enough Void!!!!!!!

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:38 pm

I will never be able to thank you enough Void!!!!!!!
I couldn't agree more

Void and this forum over the time I have been on here have been instrumental in ridding myself of windows

i also very much agree with
One could also assume that linux as a whole is much more mature than it was 5 or 6 years ago
Linux has come a long way from when i first tried to install redhat 6 on a dell laptop and it has been a great ride

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Don't thank me. Together we have helped to make this place obsolete and what a wonderful thing that is!! I had been using Linux for a long time before starting this forum and at that time we were still running Linux "under the radar" in our server rooms. It's amazing to me how far Linux has come, it's just unstoppable. It might not take over the world as the top OS in every category (although I can't discount that could some day happen) but it certainly has made it's mark and is "almost" to the point where the application developers have to consider it either for running their applications or for interacting with. You are starting to see PC/hardware manufacturers doing more and more with Linux every day so it's a very exciting time.

It's nice to know that sites like this one might have in some small way helped spark the way. Believe me, I don't mind at all that the traffic has basically come to a stop. You guys have well passed me up in many areas. I'm getting dumber and dumber every day when it comes to Linux because it seems these days things just work right out of the box for the most part and I just don't have to tinker around like the old days. It's good to see people still checking in though!