Am lost to no end :-(

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Am lost to no end :-(

Post by bazoukas » Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:52 am

:oops: :( :cry: :cry:

Am just starting out this semester with Java,,,,,but i cant make a damn program work.
I copied from the cd book a simple program and no applets will load no nothing :( Just the shell with some weird ass messages.

I downloaded the j2r.bin from java.sun.com and I chmod 777 it but when i type j2re-1_4_0_03-linux-i586.bin it says command not found (i am cd in the right dir)

What the hell.

I dont wanna use windows for a whole semester for java simply because i cant install java!!!!!!

Why the fsck they have to make it so ,,,i dont know what.!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

(*)@&)(**&@^$#(&#%$(@$(######& KFG JLKSGFSgbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbq7982oadsvg kl;adnlgibanyt09`i

yeah am pissed...and its no joke.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:43 am

dont worry about making executable just download the file and do

# sh j2re-1_4_0_03-linux-i586.bin

and accept the agreement etcetera, then it will plonk a workign rpm in you r directory.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:44 am

or not an rpm, as i just noticed, but it will extract the .bin thing, which i assume is want you want.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:03 am

Did you remember to put a "./" in front of the file name since it's probably not in your path (by default the current working directory is not in your path).

You could just type:

# ./j2re*.bin

Or as Doogee said:

# sh ./j2re*.bin

since it's not really a binary but a shell archive.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:44 pm

yeah i did that,,,,i accepted the license agreement and all....i created a symlink
ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.1/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

but it doesnt wrk

:(

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:09 pm

Am sorry for the bad tone void. I really am.

I just got very fustrated with this whole issue.
Wont happen again.
Last edited by bazoukas on Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:54 pm

err mate ior java coding you can get the SDK, which comes with applet viewers and stuff, you dont particularly need to install the mozilla plugin.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:09 am

Is there any way I could get you guys to clean up your language a little? This is not "the other site". I would like to keep this site clean. I don't know about you all but I have children. Even if you think you wouldn't mind your children reading this type of language once you have children you might find that you are not as liberal as you thought you were.

Now as far as your Java issue just download the Java JRE and SDK RPMs as well as the "Installation Instructions" for each RPM from this page. Actually you will only need the SDK packages. The JRE is only the runtime, the SDK includes the runtime and the compiler and demos.

Now after you install the RPM you can view where all the files are installed by typing "rpm -qil j2sdk | more" (like you can do with any RPM). If you wanted to view what files are in the RPM before installing it do "rpm -qip j2sdk*rpm | more". When you install the SDK or JRE it doesn't install the bin commands in your PATH by default. You can either add the Java bin directory to your path or do what I do and create sybolic links in "/usr/bin" for the java executables:

Code: Select all

# ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk*/bin/* /usr/bin
Don't blame Linux because Sun packages their software different than everyone else. I can give you plenty of examples of Windows apps that don't have pretty installers and are more trouble. Sun has *always* packaged Java this way as far back as I can remember.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:39 pm

Am almost done with it.

It turns out that I need to download the package that is compatible with my gcc3.2. But allas the documention didnt say anything about that.

I just need to remove the mozilla plugins now according to the documentation from the bin file i extracted and then create the symlinks and all the rest.

I will do this during the weekend.

And again sorry for the tone of my post void. I just got very upset since I was trying to install it and do my homework in Linux.

Wont happen again Void.