[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - Recursive Permissions

Recursive Permissions

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

Recursive Permissions

Postby byrdman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:53 pm

I was wondering what needs to be done so I can keep the permissions, user and group all the same on users' folders?
For example;
User1' s home dir is /home/clients/user1
User2's home dir is /home/client/user2
etc...

useradmin's home dir is /home/clients/ and he is allowed to upload to the www directory in the users folders. The www dir is the location of the "public_html"

I want the www directory, and all files in that director to stay as 775 and the owners stay as Userx.webgroup.

I don't want to see useradmin's name as the owner.group when he uploads a file into user2's www directory.

Does this make sense?
byrdman
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:27 pm

That makes sense however I don't think there is a way to do *exactly* what you are asking from the OS level just by setting permissions/groups/masks/special attributes. The permissions part wouldn't be a big deal but the ownership might be a problem.

When you say "upload", what do you mean exactly? Is it FTP? If so which flavor is the FTP server? There may be some tricks in the FTP configuration to make the file ownership end up like you want. I suppose you could also have a job that would run a script (as root) to ensure permissions of all files under a particular directory match the names of the sub-directories under it (if we can't get the ownership the way you want via FTP configuration).

Having said all that normally ownership isn't an issue if you have your groups/permissions set up properly. It's not usually possible for one user to create a file owned by another user as that would be a security problem. Only the root user can change the ownership of a file to a user other than himself.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby byrdman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 am

Correct, you should be able to do what you want solely with groups, modes, and umasks. It does seem rather odd that you are using a Microsoft technology to transfer data from a Mac to a Linux box though. :) I guess whatever works. Also, there are a LOT of options with Samba regarding permissions and ownership. I believe you can also have a script kicked off after a file is transferred which could be used to set the permissions as you want. I know this is the case with printing as I have a PDF print queue that triggers a script to run after a print job is collected, I thought the same could be done with a file copy but am not sure about that. I can check into it though.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fedora/Red Hat