I am having the following issue.

Code: Select all

[me@host1 ~]$ ssh -XY user2@host2
user2@host2's password: 
Last login: Wed Nov 18 21:32:12 2009 from host1
[user2@host2 ~]$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 
xterm:  DISPLAY is not set
Is this a symptom of X11Forwarding not being set to yes in sshd_config? I don't have root access so I can't check this. Is there any kind of workaround?

EDIT: the computer I am trying to SSH to has just been updated to the latest version of Scientific Linux (basically Enterprise Linux). I could not find the defaulr sshd_config to the installation on google, but thought this might be relevant.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:02 am

I have run into that on a number of occasions when upgrading ssh (on more than just Linux). The obvious first place to look is X11Forwarding being set to "yes" in sshd_config as you say but I don't think that has always been the culprit for me. Can I assume that your client hasn't been upgraded in the same time period and that prior to the server upgrade you had no problem? The reason I ask is because the client configuration can also cause that from my experience. I think the key on the client side is to make sure this is in your ssh_config (no 'd' in that):

Code: Select all

Host *
       ForwardX11Trusted yes
       ForwardX11 yes
I think another reason that has happened to me is if the "xauth" (or xorg-x11-xauth) package is not installed on the server.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:55 pm

Thanks for your help! It ended up being that the server wasn't configured to allow X tunneling, but this is good information to know nonetheless.