SSH server

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
byrdman
administrator
administrator

SSH server

Post by byrdman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:40 am

I have a question about SSH. I have a server set up as a SSH server. I have 10 systems in the field that automatically rsync over ssh into my ssh server. Over the weekend I was hit with a potential problem that I may have found the answer to but wanted to verify.
1. ) If I lose my ssh server and have to restore from backup, or worse just rebuild...if I have the keys backed up, from the SSH server, in /etc/ssh/ ( and restore them, will my hosts ask to place the key in their known_hosts files?
Remember these are 'automatically' connecting via cron, so there is no user intervention.

2. ) If I can back up the SSH server's keys, is /'etc/ssh/ the only location? is it as simple as starting SSHd on the "newly (rebuilt), restored server and copying the backed up /etc/ssh directory to bring the hosts back online?

I am not sure if I back up those SSH server keys if I can just restore them or if they are generated special...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 am

You can just restore them, in fact I copy them from server to server without a problem.