PCI C-Media Sound Card problem

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Calum
guru
guru

PCI C-Media Sound Card problem

Post by Calum » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:47 am

okay i did post this over at FMS but that forum is so bad nowadays that i thought i would come where the real action is and ask this here too:

right well, i have a celery 700, 128MB RAM, with C-Media PCI sound card, running red hat 8. section follows:

Code: Select all

#lspci -v 
00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
        Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
now this card is a bit funny.

here are the symptoms i have noticed so far:
when using GAIM, i have the choice of four methods of sound notification, they are: Console Beep, ESD, Internal & Command. Now i think only the first two are really sounds, the final one obviously means to run a command instead. Anyway, using ESD does NOT work. using Console Beep however does.
when using XMMS to play mp3s/oggs, sound works using the aRts driver but NOT with the eSound or OSS drivers.
when trying to play a CD - nothing. this happens with kscd and with cdp. It also happens when i try to play the CD with XMMS/aRts plugin, the setup that works for mp3s/oggs. the CD Players show the trackbar moving through the song but the VU meter does not show any 'sound' showing up at al (however the first thing i learnt about those meters in college is that VU stands for 'virtually useless').
Finally, when running sndconfig, all is well until i get to the 'play test sound' stage, whereupon sndconfig's nice blue screens dissapear and leave me hanging one line below a prompt like this:

[root@localhost wherever]#sndconfig
_
and i have to ctrl-C out of it, test sound unplayed. one time i remember doing this four or five times, and the test sounds mysteriously played when i shut down the computer. Regrettably i did not note which services et c were being shut down at the time this happened.

Now can anybody help me in basically getting it all to work. games all playing sound, GAIM playing sound, CDs playing, mp3s playing, if possible i'd like to listen to CDs/mp3s or whatever and have GAIM be able to interrupt me to let me know somebody has messaged me.

Thanks in advance and so on. i did find this:
http://www.redhat.com/mailing-lists/sou ... 04190.html
which is a guy with a similar but *not* identical problem, however no solutions to that guy's problem seem to come up. i would search more (and probably will) but you know i have been a bit under the weather recently and can't keep my stamina up for long.

one more thing, it turns out that i can stick a music CD in the computer, use grip to encode it into ogg files, and then play it no problem with XMMS, even though i cannot play the CD straight off in the first place. :?:

one final thing i noticed, when running konsole, i can hear the terminal bell just fine even if xmms is playing something at the same time, and this terminal bell is not a 'console beep' like gaim uses (the one gaim uses does not come from the speakers and in fact was audible from this machine in some way before i even attached the sound card or speakers i am sure).

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Merry Christmas

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:02 am

Merry Christmas:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/sh ... i?id=75795

Bugzilla is your friend...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:26 am

It works and no longer locks up by building a custom kernel with the following
CMPCI configuration:
compiling my own kernel now, hmm? where do i put all this stuff:

# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_FM is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_MIDI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_JOYSTICK is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_CM8738=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_SPDIFINVERSE is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_SPDIFLOOP=y
CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_SPEAKERS=2
when i do it?

thank you very much void main for posting me the solution, i think i will have a bit of reading to do before i can do anything about it.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:46 am

You wouldn't have tried my instructions for compiling the 2.4.20 kernel before have you? If not I would do that:

http://voidmain.kicks-ass.net/redhat/re ... ource.html

The CONFIG items mentioned in the article will actually be in the ".config" file that you copy from /boot in my instructions. However, when you do the "make xconfig" which brings up the graphical kernel configuration you should be able to find the options related to those CONFIG items in the graphical menu under the sound card section.

shira
user
user

Post by shira » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:43 am

have you tried using alsa?

I have a sblive with has native kernel drivers but I still use alsa instead

I believe your card is supported too

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:04 am

yes, i just installed alsa (with some help from choasforages) and now i have this error where /dev/dsp doesn't exist, and i think i destroyed /dev/sound trying to fix it too :(
can anybody help me sort out these two block device files please? i can't find any man pages for alsa ...
thanks...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:13 pm

just to answer my own question (and i haven't tried it to find out if it does yet) i'm posting this link here.

i always find something else when i search google too. here it is. what's this all about? will investigate later.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:58 pm

Red-Hat 8.0 tends to get on nerves somtimes. I may switch to OpenBSD.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:52 am

okay, i am no better off. can somebody perhaps help please?
now i have no sound when i use alsa, but if i run sndconfig, it adds all the oss stuff to my modules.conf and xmms works with aRts plugin, but i cannot play CDs. i'd prefer to get alsa going. I installed it all and here is my /etc/modules.conf file as it stands:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

#add the alsa stuff
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-cmipci
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

#comment out the old oss stuff
#alias usb-controller usb-uhci
#alias sound-slot-0 cmpci
#post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
#pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
also:
[calum@localhost calum]$ ls -al /dev/dsp
crw------- 1 calum root 14, 3 Jan 22 09:28 /dev/dsp
and also /dev/sound does not currently exist. i checked over on the mandrake machine and /dev/dsp is a symlink to /dev/sound/dsp and /dev/sound/ contains a lot of other device files that i don't have in red hat.

I'm a little out of my depth here. running /dev/MAKEDEV audio seems to do nothing and running /dev/MAKEDEV sound seems to do nothing too. also, i still get the following message whenever i log in:
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
So, any suggestions please?

Calum
guru
guru

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:11 am

<sigh>
so now i have some bloody problem with the mixer. apparently:
I was not able to open your audio device.
Please check that you have permission to open /dev/mixer
and make sure you have sound support compiled into your kernel.
and not only that but:
[calum@localhost calum]$ aumix
aumix: error opening mixer
[calum@localhost calum]$ ls -al /dev/mixer
crwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14, 0 Jan 22 11:53 /dev/mixer
[calum@localhost calum]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost calum]# aumix
[root@localhost calum]# (it worked fine)...
Can anybody help me get sound working again on this godsforsaken machine please?
thanks in advance as always...

edit: i found this which seems simple and straightforward, but on further inspection is also totally irrelevant.

Google has let me down.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:31 am

# chmod 777 /dev/mixer

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:15 pm

thanks, i just wasn't sure if it was okay to set permissions of writage for everybody to a device file.

Now xmms plays fine again, but i still can't get CDs to play. i'm very confused about whether i am even now using oss or alsa or what.

any hints regarding that?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:54 pm

On my Red Hat system the mixer devices are automatically set to the ID of the logged in user and not world read/writable so it isn't a security risk. However, you and your girlfriend are the only two to have access to your machine and if someone else is controlling your volume then you have bigger issues to worry about.

As far as your CD playing music I don't know what to tell you as I'm not up on Sound daemons/modules. My focus is primarily servers and servers don't usually have sound cards. My desktops have always just worked for me so it has never been an issue. Sorry, hopefully someone else more experienced with the sound systems will see this and be able to help you.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:19 am

run lsmod as root, this will give you a list of all the drivers which are loaded.
I think if the sound modules begin with -snd you are using Alsa.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:37 am

i solved the problem, and here's how i did it:

i installed mandrake instead. yes i know it's a cop out, but now we got apt working for mandrake, there's no reason not to use it. it supports my c-media card no problem and installs alsa perfectly by default. just got a couple of KDE problems to iron out now with mandrake and that's a small price to pay for magically working sound.

thanks to all who helped!