[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - some good rpm online documentation

some good rpm online documentation

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

some good rpm online documentation

Postby Calum » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:58 am

http://www.redhat.com/docs/books/max-rpm/

just posting this link.
i am getting to the point where i think i will be not using rpm so much, because i am thinking of migrating from RH8 to slack 9 when i can get used to it and make it feel like home, so personally i don't need this link so much in real life.

Still, rpm is probably the most used *nix package management system, and i will certainly be reading up on it, as i only understand the most commonly used things it can do. Anyway, here's a good red hat doc about rpm.
Calum
guru
guru

Postby Ice9 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:10 am

Ice9
guru
guru

Postby Calum » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:38 am

yeah that's all well and good, but there are a lot of package management systems and rpm isn't necessarily the best one for everybody. personally i stop short of saying that all linuces should be rpm based. maybe if they standardise rpms' format then i will get more behind it, but when you can't even install a red hat rpm on a mandrake system there is something far wrong, in terms of standardisation.

also, i should point out that rpm 4.0 is installed by default with slackware 9.0 and it advises that any rpms installed must be installed using the --force --nodeps options for obvious reasons. this is the same as with LFS, and in fact i have decided to use , the LFS package manager, to manage all non-slackpackage installations i install, including rpms (since the --force --nodeps really renders the rpm database laughable), and of course will be using pkgtool for slackpackages. **

what i would like to see is apt for slackpacks, that would be cool.

While rpm is a fantastic idea, and all that, and i do agree it is the best package manager for many (most) applications, i do think that until it standardises itself across distros i have doubts about accepting it as a 'standard'. slackpackages do not have this restriction since people only try and install them usually on slackware or slackware derived systems, or on LFS systems of course, but that's another story. rpm has bitten a lot more off and it will therefore take it longer to chew and ultimately swallow.

Finally, i agree with the linux standard specification people that rpm is the best choice for a standard, and what choice do they have? all other package managers are certainly less standard, but the point of truly Free and Open computing is that we get a choice. if the standard is not ideal for us, then we have other well implemented options to use instead (like some people might use apt a lot for installation and some people might use cvs, it depends on the administrator's needs and personality).

Actually red hat 8 will stay my main system until i am thoroughly at home with slack 9 and by that time i will have totally tested out both pkgtool and install-log to see whether or not i prefer rpm.

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Ice9 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:17 am

Ok, I see your point.
The problem with rpm accross different distros, as I see and understand it (I might be completely wrong), is that they all have a different directory structure at some points.

It would be nice if all the rpm-based distros could standardize on a directory structure as well, this way developpers wouldn't have to make 3-4 different packages for the same program.
Thing is rpm is the most popular package system as far as I know so it should be the easiest system to standardize upon (not sure if I need to write that with two "p's" or not).
Ice9
guru
guru

Postby Calum » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:04 am

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Tux » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:13 am

Tux
guru
guru

Postby Calum » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:47 am

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:01 pm

Last edited by Void Main on Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tux » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:34 pm

Tux
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:38 pm

Last edited by Void Main on Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tux » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:45 pm

Tux
guru
guru

Postby Tux » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:51 pm

Tux
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:56 pm