Repositories for RH8 no longr systematically updated?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Ice9
guru
guru

Repositories for RH8 no longr systematically updated?

Post by Ice9 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:10 am

The last weeks I see less frequent updates from the RH 8 repostory on freshrpms.
It's been a few times now that when I check for updates launching RHN there are some packet updates available which seem to not be available via apt-get.
For example today there are updates for eog, mutt and netpbm I have no idea what these packages are for), and again these do not show as available updates when I do a dist upgrade after updating synaptic.

Is support more or less dropped because a new version of RH came out or is something going wrong with my install of apt4rpm?

Edit: and of course I can't even update with RHN because of their "demo service program" and priority handling for paying customers.
I'm gonna look up what the packages do and hope there's nothing critical to update.

2nd edit: okay, no critical system packages involved so there's no big rush, I can wait for the packages either to be available via apt-get or for the the packages to become available via RHN.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:20 am

FreshRPMS has always been about a day behind what RedHat has available in their updates section, it's not a real-time mirror. I would imagine he has a cron job that runs once a day that checks for updates and adds any new RPMS to the updates section and rebuilds the repo indexes. I have no problem being a day or two behind. It beats all those people that are months and years behind. :) I have been thinking of doing my own updates repository. I already have my own OS repo for both 8.0 and 9.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:42 am

I have no problem being a day or two behind. It beats all those people that are months and years behind
Neither do I, I just wondered if maybe support for RH8 was somewhat diminished because of RH9 coming out?
I guess not then.
But until now, whenever I checked for updates with RHN, they were available on freshrpms at the very same time, but I guess that can be explained with the timezone difference.
When I check for updates, in many cases they have been available for almost a whole day, like you're probably going to go to sleep soon and I'm readying up to go to work :D

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:46 am

Yes, I should already be asleep. But sleeping is overrated, and boring. :)