couple of quick questions

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Calum
guru
guru

couple of quick questions

Post by Calum » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:03 pm

1) how would i open a *.wps MS-Works file in red hat 8?

2) is there any one-stop app that can allow me to use mp3s and oggs to burn a music CD without having to manually convert to wav in between?

thanks...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:28 pm

1) I don't believe you can even open a Microsoft Works document in Microsoft Office let alone OpenOffice (although I'm not sure if you can or can't, don't have a Works document to test with). I would say the short answer is to have the person who gave you the Works document to save it to a common type. So that really doesn't answer your question at all I guess. I don't speak Microsoft. :)

2) I'm pretty sure that this will do what you want:
http://www.k3b.org/

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:44 pm

k3b seems realy nice, there's even a repository for installing with apt-get!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:51 pm

Ice9 wrote:k3b seems realy nice, there's even a repository for installing with apt-get!
I only see a sources.list entry for Debian. Do you know of an RPM apt repository for k3b for Red Hat and Mandrake?

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:14 pm

nah, posted too quickly, didn't notice the "deb" in front of the url :roll:

I found references to an apt repository for SuSE though, this would mean that there is an apt-rpm version for SuSE too, wouldn't it?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:01 pm

I believe there was one for SuSe before there was one for Red Hat but I could be mistaken. I also believe Connectiva was the first RPM based distro with it, and if I remember right Connectiva may have put a lot of work into it themselves. But my memory ain't so good so all of that could just be BS.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:02 am

Void Main wrote:1) I don't believe you can even open a Micro$oft Works document in Micro$oft Office let alone OpenOffice (although I'm not sure if you can or can't, don't have a Works document to test with). I would say the short answer is to have the person who gave you the Works document to save it to a common type. So that really doesn't answer your question at all I guess. I don't speak Micro$oft. :)

2) I'm pretty sure that this will do what you want:
http://www.k3b.org/
1)yes you are 100% correct. microsoft office cannot even open microsoft works files, despite them being from the same software vendor and despite the software being incredibly expensive.

somebody said staroffice would open them, and the only other alternative would be to open them as text.
I will actually take your advice and get him to send me them as word documents (text and rich text seem beyond this guy, he was sold an old machine with windows and works on it - poor guy).

2) i will look into it though that url seems to be down at the moment.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:28 am

If you don't care about the formatting you can pull text out of binary files with the "strings" command:

$ strings file.wks > file.txt

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:17 pm

i probably will.
the guy said he'd send me the stuff as word docs, but hasn't.

thanks again!