[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - RH up2date is a joke!!!!

RH up2date is a joke!!!!

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

RH up2date is a joke!!!!

Postby Ice9 » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:39 am

Ice9
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:18 pm

I don't really understand the complaints. Actually the one specific to the "up2date" program I can't comment on since I have never used it or have any intentions of doing so. But as far as apt-get have you done an "apt-get update"? When I compare the from the with what's in the I don't see a difference. Like I said before I don't believe apt is ever more than a day behind Red Hat because I believe it is all an automated process. Again, you have to do an "apt-get update" to update your list before apt and synaptic will recognize that there is new software in the repository.

I prefer to manually update critical servers because sometimes updating a software package requires a service restart or some customization of configuration files. For that I usually go directly to the errata. I can't afford to have a service unavailable because of an update problem. On non-critical machines I just add my "dist-upgrade" script to cron and let them update themselves. I get email from each machine daily with a report of the upgrade and weather there were any problems.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ice9 » Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:56 pm

Ice9
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:15 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ice9 » Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:11 pm

Ice9
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:30 pm

What does your /etc/apt/sources.list file look like? The and looks the same as the . The latest mutt for RH8 is mutt-1.4.1-0.8.x.i386.rpm which was placed on the Red Hat server less than two days ago. It is in both RH8 updates repositories that I know about. What version are you showing is available in Synaptic? If it's 1.4.1-0.8.x then I would say everything is working. What do you believe is missing?
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ice9 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:14 am

I don't know if there's actually anything missing.
It''s just an impression, for the last week and 1/2 I updated synaptic like 12 times and not one single time has there been a change on the packages available.
The mutt version that shows as available right now is 1.4-4, and I did another update from synaptic less than 8 hours ago.

With the problems I had recently with my rpm database I wondered if this was normal or if there was another issue with rpm?

Edit: forgot to paste my sources.list
This is what it looks like:
# Freshrpms.net apt-rpm package repository URLs
#
# http://apt.freshrpms.net/ will always have the most current version
# of this file.
#
# $Id: sources.list,v 1.5 2003/02/22 13:52:27 dude Exp $
#

# Red Hat Linux 8.0
rpm http://apt.freshrpms.net redhat/8.0/en/i386 os updates freshrpms
rpm-src http://apt.freshrpms.net redhat/8.0/en/i386 os updates freshrpms
Ice9
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:27 am

I don't believe it would be an RPM issue, sounds like an apt issue but I've not seen that behavior here. Are there any error messages if you do the "apt-get update" at a shell prompt that maybe Synaptic isn't showing? Also, what version of apt and synaptic are you currently running?

$ rpm -qa | egrep "apt|synaptic"
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ice9 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:31 am

Ice9
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:31 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ice9 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:56 am

This is sooooo strange!
Before changing my sources.list I tried to update them one last time and it did update.
eog, mutt and netpbm were highlighted and I installed them.

/me is confused!!!
Ice9
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:12 am

/me too. All I can say is that it is rare that there is a security alert that comes out that I care to fix immediately (within a few days). That's not to say I don't care about them but 99.9% of them can not be exploited on any of my machines because either I do not use or have installed the software with the vulnerabilities, or they are external exploits of software that I *do* use but only behind my firewall (not exposed beyond my internal network), etc. So for that software if it updates within a day that's fine, if it takes a week that's fine two.

Now for that other .1% that I do care about I usually fix before the apt repositories are updated and sometimes even fix before Red Hat has an update available to anyone (apply source patches directly from the project). An example of this is the two recent Sendmail vulnerabilities. I wasn't concerned about it for my home machines but I do run several external sendmail servers out on the internet. I patched them all days before Red Hat had a patch available. There were no known exploits for the vulnerability at the time I patched them but I do not take chances like that on my critical systems.

Finally, how do I know about vulnerabilites before the vendor announces it along with a patch? I'm on the , something everyone should be on.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fedora/Red Hat