just got redhat 9

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
siplus
user
user

just got redhat 9

Post by siplus »

i bought it from the redhat site for $50, and i think it'll be worth it. just installed it today, and after a little configuring, it looks better then my redhat8.

i know i'm going to have many questions in the near future (expecially networking, because i've never networked in linux and i'm planning on buying a cable modem soon, so i'm going to be wanting to run a 233mhz computer as a router/webserver/ftpserver/ircserver/ ect), so be warned :)

for now, how do i change the hostname or domain name or whatever shows in bash after the $ ??

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp »

Hi Siplus,

I just set the hostname by opening a terminal and typing "# hostname name_of_host" where name_of_host is what I want the computer to be named. At least this works in RH 6.2 and RH 8.

Also then add it with vi (or another ascii editor) to your /etc/hosts file.

HTH

Jim

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

heh...that can't be right! it's too simple!!!!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

and/or edit /etc/sysconfig/network and change the "HOSTNAME" variable or if you want to do the same thing graphically click on the Red Hat menu then click "System Settings", then click "Network" and under the "DNS" tab enter the name you want in the "Hostname" box. You probably won't notice the change until you reboot (or at least restart networking and log off/on).

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

on the opera linux download site,
http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml ... de5b2ba5c5
there are options for redhat7 and 8, but not 9. can i still use the redhat8 tar.gz?

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

ask them :P

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i just wanted to say i have installed red hat 9 and i think that while it is almost identical to red hat 8, many of the niggly little problems seem to be fixed. i can't for the life of me remember what irritations i had before that made me change to slack but i am having next to no irritations in red hat 9.

funny to come to this topic and see the hostname thing! i just figured it out myself yesterday and the answer was here all along! well we live and learn (i just wanted to change the hostname to "Harvey"! :-D )

as for the opera issue (though i am sure it is now moot) i would say the static rpm for rh8 is your best bet.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Yea just try it, you can always fix it later.

I installed heaps of RH9 Intended RPMS on 8.0 with no issues.