rh9--wine

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
siplus
user
user

rh9--wine

Post by siplus »

i read in one of the threads here that the wine that comes with redhat9 doesn't work (does wine even come with redhat? i didn't check when i installed), so i dled the newest wine tar and tried to install.

well, it doesn't work, but i got this message:

Code: Select all

The installed Wine libraries will not be found!
You can either:
   Add the line '/usr/local/lib' to /etc/ld.so.conf and run /sbin/ldconfig
   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
[root@siplus-desktop wine]#
i added the line to etc/ld.so.conf, but i don't have /sbin/ldconfig and i have no idea how to export whatever that is. so what can i do? just give up on wine? i want to get wine running so i can install winex and get warcraft3 running so me and a few other friends can play warcraft3 in linux (we could play in windows, but it'd be cool to play it in linux instead, imo)

also, just a general linux question, how would i run anything? just put a './' infront of the filename?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

How can you not have "ldconfig"? It's part of GLIBC and without that you're system wouldn't be very usable. You should be able to just type "/sbin/ldconfig" as root. If it runs properly it will just bring you back to a shell prompt without producing any messages at all.

As far as wine coming with Red Hat, no it does not. I would guess they didn't include it because it doesn't work with RH9, at least at the time of release. I believe they have shipped wine in previous versions. And Wine and WineX are really two different animals. You don't have to install Wine to get WineX working. I was able to get "wine" working from winehq (somewhat) but I could never get WineX working (the CVS download version that is). You have to jump through a certain number of hoops to get it working, at least in the versions up until now. Wine/X just hates GLIBC v2.3.2 which will be installed on any RH9 machine and any RH8 machine that has been kept up to date. Now WineX worked very well on a stock RH8 installation without an updated GLIBC.

I'm sure they (Wine/WineX) will get things straight at some point in the future. In the mean time I suggest trying to wean yourself off of Windows only programs and then there will be no need for Wine. The only reason I even tried to get it to work is because someone else was having trouble so I started researching. If you ever do get it to work keep us posted.

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

i don't really have much need for wine, it's just winex that i want. (i thought u needed to have wine installed b4 you tried to install winex). as far as windows software is concerned, i mostly use the same programs in windows as i do in linux (Open Office, Mozilla/Opera, and some programs i don't even need like PUTTY, i can just type ssh...)

also, and you may not know this cause like you said you don't really use wine(/x), do i *need* the newest nvidia drivers for my geforce4 to run Warcraft 3 from winex? i could do it in rh9, but i have bad memories from when i tried to install my nvidia drivers from rh8 (i doubt it's any easier now) :(

edit:
You should be able to just type "/sbin/ldconfig" as root. If it runs properly it will just bring you back to a shell prompt without producing any messages at all.
maybe that's why i thought i didn't have it, i tried to type ./sbin/ldconfig

[root@siplus-desktop sbin]# ./sbin/ldconfig
-bash: ./sbin/ldconfig: No such file or directory
[root@siplus-desktop sbin]#
so i don't need to have a './' infront to run files/programs?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

No doubt graphics intensive games will be dogs without installing the nVidia drivers (doesn't necessarily have to be the latest). As far as installation I'm not sure which part you had trouble with but as far as installing the software goes they now have a file you download and run and it installs everything. You'll still have to make the changes to your XF86Config file manually though (I don't know why they don't just add that in to the driver install, maybe some day).

No Wine does not have to be installed before WineX gets installed. In fact it would not be a good idea. I have not messed with it in a couple of weeks so maybe the CVS version of WineX now works but I wouldn't hold my breath, they don't seem to be in a huge hurry to solve the problem. You might want to browse the forums over at www.transgaming.com and see if there is anything new. Look for topics on "Red Hat 9" and "GLIBC 2.3.2".

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

oh, i ment programs as in scripts/programming programs (like my simple c++ ones), not like mozilla or opera programs

i guess i'll just start dling it from the CVS then...
Last edited by siplus on Sun May 04, 2003 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Adding a "./" to the front of a command name just means that the path will be relative to the "current working directory". That command would work if you first do a "cd /" but that's a waste of time when you can just type in the full path "/sbin/ldconfig". You could also have just typed "ldconfig" if the "/sbin" directory is in your "PATH" like it would be if you had logged in as root or became root with the "su -" command (not just "su", the "-" is important).

It really works just like it does in DOS/Windows (except in DOS it would be ".\" because DOS has to be backwards). The only real difference is that "." (the current working directory) is not in your PATH by default like it is in DOS/Windows. You can add "." to your PATH and it would work just like DOS/Windows, that is, if you have an executable program in a directory that is not in your path all you have to do is "cd directory" to the directory that contains the program, type it's name and it will run ("./" not required). The problem with having "." in your PATH is it is a security risk, and we all know Microsoft can't be bothered with security.

Another example. Say my current working directory (the one I am cd'ed to) is "/home/void" (you can verify this by typing "pwd") and I want to run the text editor "vim" which is in "/usr/bin". I have several ways I can run it. First of all "/usr/bin" is in my PATH, I can tell this by typing "which vim" or view my PATH by typing "echo $PATH". I can also run it by typing the full path "/usr/bin/vim". I could also run it with a relative path "../../usr/bin/vim" or "./../../usr/bin/vim", or "./../../usr/../usr/bin/vim". I don't know if that confuses you or sheds some light on it. "." is current directory and ".." is parent directory (one level toward "/" from where you are).

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

ok, i am looking at the "WineX faq" http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/WineX2.html#cvs
but right now i'm going to try to recompile my kernal
http://voidmain.kicks-ass.net/redhat/re ... ource.html
i know the title says it's for rh8, but my rh9 kernal is 2.4.20-6, so will it still work if i just add the -6 on it, or doesn't the -# really mean anything special?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I would not recompile your kernel. The one with RH9 is just fine and has no effect on WineX that I am aware of. The WineX FAQ will probably not work for you on RH9 (it didn't for me). Your best bet is to go to transgaming.com and click the "download" button and get the CVS version. Although I still haven't had any luck with it. Basically what I am trying to say is, it probably ain't going to work on RH9 no matter what you do, at least not until they fix it.

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

Void Main wrote:Another example. Say my current working directory (the one I am cd'ed to) is "/home/void" (you can verify this by typing "pwd") and I want to run the text editor "vim" which is in "/usr/bin". I have several ways I can run it. First of all "/usr/bin" is in my PATH, I can tell this by typing "which vim" or view my PATH by typing "echo $PATH". I can also run it by typing the full path "/usr/bin/vim". I could also run it with a relative path "../../usr/bin/vim" or "./../../usr/bin/vim", or "./../../usr/../usr/bin/vim". I don't know if that confuses you or sheds some light on it. "." is current directory and ".." is parent directory (one level toward "/" from where you are).
actually, that makes more sense....'dir' or 'ls -al', i never knew why it listed '.' and '..' . i pritty much knew the '..' always ment the parent directory, but i NEVER knew what the '.' was!!!

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

edit:: didn't see ur post above mine...deleted my post

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

i downloaded WineX from CVS, and did a ./tools/wineinstall like it said in the README, but at the end it said this:

*** Warning: X development files not found. Wine will be built without
*** X support, which currently does not work, and would probably not be
*** what you want anyway. You will need to install devel packages of
*** Xlib/Xfree86 at the very least.

Configure finished.  Do 'make depend && make' to compile Wine.

Install the X development headers and try again.
[root@siplus-desktop wine]#
is this the problem u've been saying rh9 has with wine, or is this something i can fix?
oh, i don't know if this has anything to do with it (i doubt it) but it warned me about having another version of wine installed. (it's in a different directory though)
Last edited by siplus on Sun May 04, 2003 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

No, that just says you don't have the X development packages installed and they aren't necessary anyway according to the message. The problem is not with the build, the problem is with the run. You really need to check the forums at transgaming.com. I can't help you get it running.