Installing apt-get RH 9.0

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Engineer
user
user
Installing apt-get RH 9.0

Post by Engineer » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:03 pm

Where to start? I've done some googling but I'm a little confused, I believe I have the correct file (apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm). Can I just double click it as I did for the mpg123 rpm file or do I need to do it from command line? I don't want to mess up and not be able to update my system properly.

Dj

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:17 pm

Guess you haven't seen this?

Engineer
user
user

Post by Engineer » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:59 pm

I can' t believe I missed that, anyway thanks, everything is installed updated and working fine.

Dj

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:02 pm

Heh heh, enjoy apt-get!

Engineer
user
user

Post by Engineer » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:15 pm

Can't possibly use this to get WineX can I? Don't quite know how to use CVS yet and I'm a little strapped for cash.

Dj

Edited:Wine=WineX

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:24 pm

Unfortunately not. Wine (or WineX) is not all that difficult to install from source though. You just have to make sure you use the appropriate compile options in the build script, the defaults will not work with RH9 (at least not on the latest version that I installed). If you go with WineX I downloaded the CVS source according to the download page at transgaming.com and then changed the line in the "tools/wineinstall" script that looks like this:

Code: Select all

CONFARGS="--enable-opengl"
to look like this:

CONFARGS="--enable-pthreads --enable-opengl"
Another thing I had to do was install the nVidia GL header files. If you are using the nVidia drivers from nvidia.com then you will also need to install them. The driver installation program has an option to install them and does not do so by default.

Also if you have upgraded your system (apt-get dist-upgrade), and I would suggest that you do, then you will also want to install the latest kernel and set it to be the default before your WineX will run successfully. To upgrade your kernel via apt-get do:

# apt-get install kernel
Which will bring up a list of available kernels. I installed 2.4.20-13.9 by:

apt-get install kernel#2.4.20-13.9
Then edit your /etc/grub.conf and set that one to be the default.

Engineer
user
user

Post by Engineer » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:35 pm

I also need to compile ntfs read into the kernel is that possible via apt-get or should I just follow the instructions Here, I still need to go back to windows and have all my music/downloads stored on an ntfs partition

Dj

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:59 pm

Yes, if you don't want to recompile (I wouldn't) you could get the module from this page:
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html#down

Screwballl
n00b
n00b

Post by Screwballl » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:02 pm

i followed the directions to the apT and after it fetches the file, i get this error:
warning: /var/tmp/rom-xfer.0mH7ko: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, KeyID (some numbers)...
then i get 20 warnings in a row that alternate between "user dude does not exist - using root" to "group dude does not exist - using root"... then shows:
1: apt ##################### [100%]

i take it that it downloaded properly and most likely installed partially thus the 100% but it still doesnt recognize the apt-get command....
wth am i doing wrong here? i am logged in as root and other rpms seem to install fine... speed and memory are not a problem....

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:53 pm

Could you explain in a little more detail what you are trying to install and where you got it?