Using apt to install X windows and a light window manager

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
lovswr
scripter
scripter

Post by lovswr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:54 pm

I have RH 9 kernel 2.4.20-20.9. It's running what ever the latest KDE ver is from up2date. Could I jsut 'apt-get install blackbox' {I'm pointing at the freshrpms repository) & have blackbox (or whatever windows manager) just work or will I have to mess with some configs files because it won't play nice with KDE?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:50 pm

It'll just work. Just do:

# apt-get install blackbox

then log off, click "Session" at the bottom of your graphical logon screen and select "Blackbox", voila! (hint, right click on your background after logging in).

lovswr
scripter
scripter

Post by lovswr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:57 pm

Ok I did it. Took all of about 30 seconds, includiing logging off & then back on. This is certainly different. How do I get my apps on the KDE taskbar back. Things like Evolution & such?

edit: Mozilla seems to work much better under Blackbox than KDE.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:24 am

You will need some or all of the bbtools apps to get it the way you like.

EDIT: I beg your pardon, you actually need bbconf. Although, you will find the above utilities interesting nonetheless.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:10 pm

Just be aware that blackbox is a light weight window manager. It doesn't have all the features that KDE has. It's a little more old school. You can use the configuration tools or you can customize it manually. The best place to start might be "man blackbox". You can set up your own menu file, the man page tells you where to place your personal menu. But you can always cheat and use the bbconf tool. :)