Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Paul_Dean
n00b
n00b

Dial on Demand

Post by Paul_Dean » Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:14 pm

Hi,

I'm a new to linux.

I need to set up a Red Hat 8 Server as a mail server and share it's analog modem with 2 Windows 98 clients

After spending days reading piles of documentation and getting thoroughly lost I discovered the Void Main tip on Red Hat 8.0 set-up with DHCP & Dynamic DNS server and solved most of my DNS problems in less than an hour.

It was great to find documentation which was easy to follow with sample configuration files and which was relevant to the version of Linux I was using. I learned more in that hour than days reading piles of manuals and How To's.

Does anyone know of anything similar to help me set up my dial-up ( on demand ) link to my ISP ( using Red Hat 8 ). I haven't seen any How To's with step by step instructions specific to Red Hat 8 and I've been getting lost in the more general ones.

I currently have:

1 Red Hat 8.0 server set up with DHCP & Dynamic DNS Server.
1 NIC card connected to internal network
1 analog ( yes analog ) modem connected to COM1
2 Windows 98 clients

I need the link for browsing from the Windows clients and to pick up email.

The ISP uses static IP addresses so I have a local IP address, a remote IP address and 2 (ISP) DNS server IP addresses. My internal DHCP & Dynamic DNS is working great so I don't want to screw that up.

I would like the server to dial out at pre-determined times to pick up email as well as dialing out on demand. I suppose I could use cron with a ping to bring up the line if I could get dial on demand working.

Can anyone give me any pointers please?

Thanks

Paul

:cry:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:17 pm

Thanks Paul for the compliment on the DNS/DHCP stuff. Ignoring the dial on demand for a second, do you have it currently set up so when you do manually dial that your windows clients can access the internet through your Red Hat machine? If not, you might want to look over this thread:

http://voidmain.kicks-ass.net/forums/vi ... 0&start=15

You will need to do similar setup (except your internet connected interface will be ppp0 rather than eth1).

As far as getting diald working, it's been quite a while since I used it and remember it being a fair pain in the rear to get working the way I wanted, but once I got it working it worked flawlessly. I have not run this on Red Hat 8 but I don't imagine it being much different. I ran it for a few years on RH 6.0 (I actually still use that machine as a gateway but have switched from ppp to Ethernet/Cable). I looked around and believe some of the old configuration is still there for my ppp interface but I can't tell what stuff worked and what didn't. The configuration of that machine has changed significantly since diald so..

I'm also sorry to say that I don't have a magic bullet for you. If you do finally figure it out, I would be interesting in adding a tip on the subject. I understand the vast load of documentation out there where none of it seems to exactly apply to you. That's why I wanted to start some distro specific documentation and tell people exactly how to do it for that specific distro. Again if you get it all figured out and would like to write up a similar HOWTO I will add it to the tips section.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:11 pm

Are you the guy i referred from Chat Junkies Paul?

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:27 pm