kernel 2.6 the easy way

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

kernel 2.6 the easy way

Post by Void Main » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:00 pm

There is a apt repository for Red Hat that is creating 2.6 kernel RPMS and also contains the other required updated packages. Just add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code: Select all

# Arjan's 2.6 series kernel repository
rpm http://people.redhat.com arjanv/2.5 kernel
rpm-src http://people.redhat.com arjanv/2.5 kernel
Then do this:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get install kernel

That last command should bring up a list of kernels. You should see some 2.6 kernels. In my case I then did this:

# apt-get install kernel#2.6.0-0.test1.1.26

Reboot, select the 2.6 kernel on your boot menu and have fun.

See this for more info:
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/readme.txt

Membrax
scripter
scripter

Post by Membrax » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:00 pm

Hi Void Main,

do you think this kernel update any positive fx could have on all what concerns the gfx part of redhat ?
I mean, would it also have a positive impact (read : improvement) on any current installed base ?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:04 pm

Thanks for reminding me to upgrade the kernel on the web server. I just upgraded from 2.6.0 test1 to test8. Regarding your graphics questions I will go out on a limb and say that upgrading to 2.6.0 would create more problems than it would solve regarding your proprietary graphics card for several reasons.

First of all I assume that ATI only releases binary versions of their drive like nVidia does (I use nVidia). With nVidia cards there are two parts to the driver, kernel modules and GL libraries. As far as the kernel modules you have to have modules that are compiled for the kernel version you are running. nVidia only releases drivers for distro released kernel versions (that includes updates, which 2.6.0 is not a part of). The other parts would be GL libraries and XFree86 drivers which are not effected by a kernel upgrade (not directly anyway).

I do not run the 2.6.0 or 2.5.x kernels on my main desktop machine because I would lose my nice 3D graphics (among a couple of other things). On the other hand, I don't even have X installed on the web server so it's perfect for testing the new kernel (security implications aside).

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:59 pm

Void Main wrote: I do not run the 2.6.0 or 2.5.x kernels on my main desktop machine because I would lose my nice 3D graphics (among a couple of other things). On the other hand, I don't even have X installed on the web server so it's perfect for testing the new kernel (security implications aside).
Actually it only requires a small patch to the nVidia kernel driver which lets it compile cleanly and you can even remake the .run file with the patched source which is very neat. This has seved me well for the last month or so, but I understand your issues with running a dev kernel on a main box.

Anyway I am going out tonight so I will have to cut this short but if you wan't the link for that patch I will dig it up for in the morning (or afternoon which is when I will most likely be awake(recovering) :roll: )

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:02 pm

Cool, I didn't know there was a patch for the nVidia driver. Thanks for the tip! Wonder how VMWare would like it? There's probably a patch for it as well. But then it's been a long time since I fired up VMWare.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:24 am

The URL is http://www.minion.de/ just follow his README and all should be well.
Have fun :)