Parttioning in Linux instead of using PM

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Buzza24
scripter
scripter

Parttioning in Linux instead of using PM

Post by Buzza24 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:31 am

I would like to start using Linux to partition instead of Partition Magic. But I would still like to use a GUI.

Any ideas,
Buzza

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:51 am

i would recommend as the by far easiest way to get a mandrake install CD (you only need CD1) then boot from it, then humour the installer up to the point where you get the diskdrake screen, which is similar to partitionmagic, then do your business, apply your changes and reboot. make sure you have some bootdisks handy though (in rh i think you can "mkbootdisk" to make one, and i would at least have a tomsrtbt as well) just in case.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:38 am

Do u have Knoppix? Try out cfdisk..Its console based, but very simple to use!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:09 am

Better yet, if you have Knoppix then you can use qtparted which is much like Partition Magic. It can even resize NTFS partitions as long as you have a way of defragging the NTFS partition to make enough free space at the end of the partition. qtparted is a GUI wrapper for the parted, ntfsresize, resize2fs, resize_reiserfs, mkfs.*, etc... I suggest Knoppix for this because qtparted is not the easiest app to install and get all of the pieces working. Knoppix already has all these tools installed and in working order, plus many times you need to be booted from an alternate boot source to perform partition changes.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:52 am

hey VoidMain,

I cant seem to find the qtparted tool anywhere.....Are u sure its in knoppix v3.2?

thanks.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:15 pm

It's there, right on the system menu. Are you sure you are running Knoppix 3.2? :) You could also run it from a shell:

Code: Select all

$ su
# qtparted
In fact, you might *have* to run it from a shell. I think the KDE menu link doesn't work.

Also, go here and put "qtparted" in the "Search knoppix.net" box. Lotsa talk about it.