How do I get mplayer to work?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:23 am

Let's see if I can remember this correctly, I think this is how the install of my previous work laptop went.
All you need is some kind of networked pc which can act as a dhcp server, you put the pxe boot image on it (available from the Red Hat/Fedora cd's if I'm not mistaken) and the content of the different cd's.
From the laptop you select network install and after you obtain a dhcp lease the actual install should start.

I'm not 100% sure about every step anymore (only did it once and that was more than 1 year ago) but this should be more or less ok as a guideline.

junglemike
n00b
n00b

Post by junglemike » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:13 am

Thanks guys for your seggestions.
Sorry if it is a bit off topic, but it would be really good if i somehow i managed to install Linux on it.
If the laptop has e network card you can do a pxe boot and do a network install.
Unfortunately no. Laptop model is Toshiba portege 3110ct. It doesnt' have a network card. I'm using USB->Ethernet adapter to connect to my home lan.
. You could probably do something similar with yours but I would at least try and borrow a floppy drive if not a CD-ROM drive to do the install. I didn't care if mine turned into a paper weight where your laptop should actually still be quite useful.
I do have cd-rom with it, but it is external cd-rom wich i connct throgh pcmcia. (laptop itself is very small 1.3kg and 10-inch screen , so it has almost notheing onboard) But , unfortanately i have no option too boot from cdrom (or pcmcia) in Bios. The only 2 options that i have in bios - are boot from hdd or boot from floppy. Now reguarding the floppy: There supposed to be some kind of docking station that has floppy on it or something. But i don't have this station and it is also impossible to find such station anywhere since all these things are very old and are not sold anymore. (I didn't buy this laptop, my friend gave it to me (as is, w/o docking station) because he bought new laptop. This very friend also says that Suse linux on his laptop lasts 1.5 times longer from battery than WinXP. So i'm dying to put some linux on my lap too, but i can't :( .
Does anybody know other options how can i put linux there?
TIA

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:27 am

If you can't boot any other way than from HDD of FDD and don't own the docking station with the FDD ...
You could always try this
Here are some screenies

Edit: just going through the faq and read that Win 2K isn't supported yet, so this won't work ...