No sound in Redhat 9.0

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
lovswr
scripter
scripter

No sound in Redhat 9.0

Post by lovswr » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:06 pm

Hello. I am using redhat 9.0 kernel 2.4.20 & KDE. I have an integrated SiS 7012 PCI Audio Accelerator. Since I don't use sound much on this pc I can't really say when this happened. But a few months ago my sound just stopped working. The major change that happened in that time frame is that I updgraded to the latest stable kernel from redhat (via up2date). Again, as I rareley have my speakers on when using this pc (via a belkin KVM) I can not say if that event is what triggered my trouble. I did some searching on Google, but now I'm more confused than ever. Should I be using alsa, aRts or what?? I really have no idea how to even start troubleshooting this problem so any replies will be greatly appreciated.

TIA :)

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:37 pm

Just a few thoughts... I have an Asus MB with integrated sound that won't give sound unless I'm running X. No cdplay or whatever in runlevel 3. Do you normally run your computer in text mode?

Although unlikely, have you checked your audio connections from your CD drives, or do you get no sound in X for things like opening or closing windows even after enabling sound events in "preferences."

Because of this damned motherboard with integrated sound, I spend a lot more time running X than I would otherwise. I like to play some music if I'm going to be sitting in front of a computer for any length of time, but am too old/stupid to get along well with GUI's.

If you are using the GUI, did you try going to "system settings" => "sound card detection" ? There used to be a utility called sndconfig, but I can't seem to find it on my current RH9 install, and the old "setup" command doesn't do sound card detection anymore.

Just a few thoughts....

Jim Dishaw

lovswr
scripter
scripter

Post by lovswr » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:47 pm

init 5 is default for me. Yes I'm sure the cables/physical connection works. The sound card config utility asks me if i hear the test sound playing. If I say yes, nothing happens & the utility just closes. If I say no, it tells me that it could not find a soundcard.