Complete uninstall of Ximian Evolution.

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Complete uninstall of Ximian Evolution.

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:09 am

Can anyone tell me a way to completely uninstall Evolution mail client? I upgraded to 1.4 earlier tonight and accidentially installed that stupid Ximian connector (for microsoft exchange servers). Well to install it is free but to use it cost 70 bucks so I uninstalled just the connector rpm real fast but after that it errored big time due to dependecies.

I then tried to uninstall the whole thing and got like one or 2 other rpm's uninstalled but it is not completely off my system. So I tried to just delete the directories and now it is real screwed up/ I tried to reinstall it thinking I could at least see a list of packages being installed so I could remove them manually but it only re-downloaded the ones I had already uninstalled.

What a pain in the ass.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:11 am

To see what files are installed in an installed RPM you can:

$ rpm -qil packagname

To see what files would be installed from an RPM on your hard drive you would:

$ rpm -qilp filename.rpm

There are several options to the rpm erase command. See "man rpm" and look under the erase section where you will find these possible options:

--allmatches --nodeps --noscripts --nopreun --nopostun --notriggers --notriggerpostun --repackage --test

Of course an "rpm -e blah blah" will only remove the files that were installed during the "rpm -U" or "rpm -i" phase. It can/will not install any files/directories that the package itself installs/creates during it's use. For instance, when you use Evolution it creates a ~/evolution directory for any user that uses it. Removing the RPM will not remove these directories. I don't know what the Exchange connector plugin installs as I've never installed it.

You also need to be aware that in addition to any files that are installed there can be an installation script that is run that may do things such as change config files, add users, etc. If there is there should also be an uninstall script included in the RPM to perform the reverse. It is usually just a set of commands included in the RPM spec file and not a separate script.
Last edited by Void Main on Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:18 am

[root@ToughGuy repackage]# rpm -qilp evolution-1.0.8-10.i386.rpm
error: evolution-1.0.8-10.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: BAD, key ID db42a60e
error: query of evolution-1.0.8-10.i386.rpm failed
Hmm... This thing has isues.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:50 am

This is what I get:

Code: Select all

$ rpm -qilp evolution-1.0.8-10.i386.rpm
warning: evolution-1.0.8-10.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
Name        : evolution                    Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.0.8                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 10                            Build Date: Tue 03 Sep 2002 12:20:12 AM CDT
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/Productivity     Source RPM: evolution-1.0.8-10.src.rpm
Size        : 23669609                         License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 03 Sep 2002 05:35:42 PM CDT, Key ID 219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.ximian.com/
Summary     : GNOME's next-generation groupware suite
Description :
Evolution is the GNOME collection of personal information management
(PIM) tools.

Evolution includes a mailer, calendar, contact manager and
communication facility.  The tools which make up Evolution are
tightly integrated with one another and act as a seamless personal
information-management tool.
/usr/bin/csv2vcard
/usr/bin/evolution
/usr/bin/evolution-addressbook
/usr/bin/evolution-addressbook-clean
/usr/bin/evolution-addressbook-export
/usr/bin/evolution-addressbook-import
/usr/bin/evolution-alarm-notify
/usr/bin/evolution-calendar
/usr/bin/evolution-calendar-importer
Where did you get the RPM from, your RH8 CD? I got the one for the above test here:
ftp://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/redhat/linu ... 0.i386.rpm

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:52 pm

[root@ToughGuy ZiaTioN]# rpm -ivh --force evolution-1.0.8-10.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libgpilotdcm.so.1 is needed by evolution-1.0.8-10
libgpilotdconduit.so.1 is needed by evolution-1.0.8-10
libgpilotd.so.1 is needed by evolution-1.0.8-10
Looks like I dont have some required library files.

I initially installed it by going to their site and using their auto installer over the net.

They give you this command to enter as root:

wget -q -O - http://go.ximian.com |sh

It runs through the download of an installer then runs it locally on your harddisk. I re-run it and it completes the install but nothing changes. There is a point dsuring the install where it shows you what changes will be made to your system during the install and now that window is empt y when I get there. Weird...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:04 pm

You are really doing it the hard way. See this and then type "apt-get install evolution" as root. Second, you never really want to use "--force" to install an RPM. I used to periodically do it but now I never do it as it throws your RPM database out of whack among other things. If you have to force install something then there is a very good chance that you are not doing it correctly. Besides, if you really wanted to force it you would also add the "--nodeps" param but that would be even worse. It pretty much defeats the entire purpose of a package management system, and then your app probably won't work anyway. There are only a couple of exceptions to this rule, one is listed at the end of the above link and the other is if you have a 3rd party proprietary binary RPM that you have no chance of getting the source RPM for and you absolutely have to install it and you know it can safely be forced (or have no other choice). Even then it's better to kick the vendor in the butt to get some good RPMs out. And lastly, that is the exact RPM that should be on your Red Hat 8 CD, not sure why you are even downloading it. The dependency RPMS are also on the RH8 CD. Looks like it wants the pilot RPMs installed. But "apt-get" is by far the easiest way.

EDIT: I guess you originally got in this prediciment by trying to upgrade to the latest from Ximian.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:45 pm

Yes that is how I got into this mess. I was only trying to force install it so I could remove it. LOL.. I usually do not force anything (no need to), but in situations like this I needed the files there so I could uninstall it wiothout it erroring.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:30 pm

Why dont u install Mozilla Firebird? IMHO its better than Evolution...

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:45 pm

For a start Moz Firebird is a web browser and not a mail client, but i will presume you actually meant Mozilla Thunderbird

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:52 pm

Oops! ur right..... 8)