Fedora Core 1

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:52 pm

Tee hee. I had to skimp and symlink on an old P90 to do the same aptget dist-upgrade you are trying to do. I think I only had like 1GB total (no X or anything like that for sure).

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:03 pm

now the truth comes out! ;-)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:10 pm

well upgrade is finished but with some issues. for instance, i had a conflicting thing with two rpms, CGI and perl-CGI i think, so just removed CGI (and had to remove lynx as well. then for some reason apt allowed me to have two versions of sendmail installed (weird) so i uninstalled the oldest one. now XFce is gone from my gdm menu! :evil: so i can't remember what file to edit to get it beck! i remember when i installed red hat rpms of xfce4 it added it automatically so am now searching for fedora rpms.

well, not too impressed yet. it even reset the default hostname from claudia back to localhost :x

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:34 pm

The Perl and Sendmail issues you ran in to are both listed in this thread previously along with the resolutions. Don"t know what to say about your XFCE or localhost thing as I have not run into those on any of the 8 upgrades I did. If I had been running XFCE I am sure I would have had that issue but the localhost one should not have happened unless something was misconfigured (guessing).

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:06 pm

well i feel a prize twit for not reading the whole thread then!
as for the hostname thing, i imagine it's because i had just stuck the hostname command in the startup scripts like i did in slack, musthave been upgraded along with everything else. i have stuck it in rc.local and now it's fine. as for the xfce thing, it's simply an issue with figuring out how to add xfce to gdm. i did search google for this, and found i should add the correct file in /etc/X11/gdm which i tried to do, except the file is already there and seems to be correct(since i installed xfce properly using rh9 rpms via instructions from you on these forums) already prior to the upgrade. probably i have to find some gdm specific instructions. will probably do that tomorrow.

thanks for the speedy reply!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:04 pm

I have split the XFce questions off into it's own topic:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/vi ... .php?t=788