Fedora Core 1

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
lovswr
scripter
scripter

Post by lovswr » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:31 pm

Void Main wrote:--SNIP--You might also try adding the "--nosignature" option to your /etc/apt/apt.conf in the RPM "Install-Options" key. --SNIP--
I believe that is it. It's doing the dist-upgrade as I type. Actually the commands (from the text comments already in apt.conf) were "true/false". so I set it to not only ignore all gpg signatures but also to not even check for gpg signatures in the first place. I don't know how many times I can say this,

Void. U R DA MAN!!!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:41 pm

lovswr wrote:Actually the commands (from the text comments already in apt.conf) were "true/false". so I set it to not only ignore all gpg signatures but also to not even check for gpg signatures in the first place.
Hmmm, would it be possible to see your apt.conf whether it works or not?

lovswr
scripter
scripter

Post by lovswr » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:33 pm

Void Main wrote:
lovswr wrote:Actually the commands (from the text comments already in apt.conf) were "true/false". so I set it to not only ignore all gpg signatures but also to not even check for gpg signatures in the first place.
Hmmm, would it be possible to see your apt.conf whether it works or not?

Well is still did not work. Got to the 4th package & then BAM! Dependecies everywhere. But I'm typing from my just installed from CD fedora core 1. I like what I have seen thus far. That upgrade was incredibly smooth,

{
// Give stable archive a higher priority by default
Default-Release "stable";
// Options for apt-get
Get
{
Download-Only "false";
Show-Upgraded "true";
};

};

Dir
{
Etc
{
Scripts "/usr/lib/apt/scripts/";
};
};

RPM
{
// Completely ignore GnuPG signature packages (introduced in rpm 4.1)
Ignore { "gpg-pubkey"; };
// Allow multiple kernel and kernel-related packages to be installed
Allow-Duplicated { "^kernel(-(BOOT|bigmem|debug|smp|unsupported|source))?$"; "^gpg-pubkey$"; };
// Enable source rebuilds
Source
{
Build-Command "rpmbuild --rebuild";
};
// These are for Lua-script configuration
// Do GPG-signature checking for packages
GPG-Check "false";
// Enable to upgrade kernel along with (dist-)upgrade
Upgrade-Kernel "true";
// Enable to hold back packages with modified config files in (dist-)upgrade
Preserve-Config "false";
};

// Options for the downloading routines
Acquire
{
Retries "1";
http::User-Agent "Fedora APT-HTTP/1.3";
// http::Proxy "http://user:password@proxy-server.domain.tld:port/";
// http::Proxy "http://proxy-server.domain.tld:port/";
};

Scripts
{
Init { "gpg-import.lua"; };
RPM
{
Pre { "gpg-checker.lua"; };
};
Apt
{
Upgrade { "kernel-upgrade.lua"; "preserve-conf.lua"; };
DistUpgrade {"kernel-upgrade.lua"; "preserve-conf.lua"; };
};
}

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:41 pm

Where did you come up with that apt.conf? That doesn't look *anything* like mine. Did you install the Fedora apt package from FreshRPMS? If so have you tried just a default config? Here's the default that comes with the current version:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/misc/apt.conf

I would install that and then try this:

# apt-get update
# apt-get -f install

What does your sources.list file look like?

lovswr
scripter
scripter

Post by lovswr » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:02 pm

Void Main wrote:Where did you come up with that apt.conf? That doesn't look *anything* like mine. Did you install the Fedora apt package from FreshRPMS? If so have you tried just a default config? Here's the default that comes with the current version:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/misc/apt.conf

I would install that and then try this:

# apt-get update
# apt-get -f install

What does your sources.list file look like?
I think I got it from livna.org. Now I have the apt-get for fedora from freshrpms.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:34 pm

lovswr wrote:Now I have the apt-get for fedora from freshrpms.
Does the one from FreshRPMS work now after using the apt.conf that comes with it?

lovswr
scripter
scripter

Post by lovswr » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:14 pm

Void Main wrote:
lovswr wrote:Now I have the apt-get for fedora from freshrpms.
Does the one from FreshRPMS work now after using the apt.conf that comes with it?
Yes no problems (knock-on-wood)

Membrax
scripter
scripter

Post by Membrax » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:04 pm

Hi All,

Just getting Fedora ISO's right away via bittorrent.
As you guess ... I'll have to sleep for hours before having all of them.

My only fear about the coming installation over my current RH9 is :
Will I still have my current environment ?
Will the update occur smoothly ?
Will I have to reinstall everything ?
... will I still be able to play Quake3 with 3D acceleration (OpenGL) ?

That's a kind of dual feeling :
Wanting to improve my current system AND fearing to lose the current deployed things.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:00 pm

I had the same concerns and for me everything really went great. I have 4 users that log on to my main desktop in the kitchen and it didn't take long to get all of them back up and going. You shouldn't have to reinstall anything. It will probably place any desktop ICONS that you had in a folder where you can drag them back out on your desktop but that was the worst of it. Everything like Evolution kept it's configuration and I didn't have to reinstall everything except for 3rd party drivers like I do any time I upgrade a kernel.

You shouldn't have any problems with OpenGL games although I didn't try the ones you mention. If you have an nVidia card just make sure you look over my nVidia comments in this thread. Good luck!

Membrax
scripter
scripter

Post by Membrax » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:17 pm

GREAT !
Let's go for it within ... 60 hours (time needed to get it). Aaarrgghl.

I'll keep my personal results posted as soon as it'll be done.

Thx for your answer.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:29 pm

I don't know what your max bandwidth is but when I downloaded it via bittorrent it started out very slow and continued that way for quite a while. However, at some point it started to pick up speed, all the way until it reached my max bandwidth (2.5Mbps) so the bulk of it downloaded in a very short time. I started it at night and was finished by morning.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:13 pm

i love the way you capitalise the word "icons" voidmain! it makes me think it should stand for something...
in fact: click here.

Membrax
scripter
scripter

Post by Membrax » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:19 pm

:D
Here we go.
After downloading the 3 ISO's (bittorrent acted nicely and indeed accelerated the download process after 1 or 2 hours) I finally could burn the so long waited images on new CD's.

The automated install/update process ran smoothly ... until at 80% of the 2nd CD it blocked on the new xpdf package. Fedora install process (anaconda) only offered me the choice to "Hit Enter Key to continue".

:roll:
Guess what ... pressing the enter key only selects "OK" to continue installing the xpdf rpm it just wasn't able to find and so on ... vicious circle actually because no other exit or workaround is present at this very moment.

:x
Taking a deep breath I tried to swap the 3 CD's (it could be that the xpdf package was on another media after all). Nope. :shock:

:evil:
Becoming nervous I thought to reburn the 2nd CD just in case ...

:idea:
Yep, it paid off ! That was it.

The complete install took about 40 minutes and everything runs fine, even a bit faster (ooo 1.1 as well).
So far, so good, all the installed stuff respond without hesitation.

Except the little speed improvement, I'm still asking myself if this "upgrade" was really needed (except for the experience as well I have to admit it :D).
Time will tell.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:16 pm

It's strange. I have never gotten a good 1st burn on all 3 CDs since about Red Hat 7.2. I don't seem to have a problem with any other burns, just Red Hat/Fedora. It really pays off to check them thoroughly before installation.

Membrax
scripter
scripter

Post by Membrax » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:30 am

Void Main wrote:Well I thought Fedora had a problem with the nVidia drivers as X locked up a couple of times on me. I have a GeForce 2 card and I updated to the latest drivers at the same time I upgraded to Fedora. After thinking about it a while I remembered upgrading to the latest drivers a few months back and had the same problem under RH 8 and 9. I went back to the previous release of driver and now all is well. Must be some sort of problem with the new drivers and my old GF2 card.

There is something you must do special in Fedora to install the drivers though. Make sure you type "export CC=gcc32" in the same shell you run the installer from and you should have no troubles at all.

Coming back on the gfx issue here.
Installed Fedora on my second (read : main) system yesterday evening.
Actually, this is an upgrade process from RH9.0 which ran fine (most of the time) :lol:

I've got a Radeon 9700pro which ran smoothly under RH9.0 thanks to the fglrx rpm provided by ATI (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx ... 8.i586.rpm).

OpenGL and 3D graphics acceleration were amazing, a lot of performance and, most of all, 3D running applications (and games - Quake3 - Unreal Tournament - America's Army - Tux Racer :lol: )
Upgrading from RH9.0 which was fine, I assumed that everything would stay fine or become even better, smoother, faster.

... :shock: Nope, I'm stuck !
When booting, the system freezes precisely when it needs to display X (the nice crosshair mouse appears and let guess that X is trying to display ... but doesn't succeed), black screen behind the mouse X cursor.

Already booted with 1st CD Fedora in repair mode and via the console uninstalled fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8.i586.rpm (with --nodeps)
So, let's say that it "works" now but that all my previous favorites applications are not useable anymore as long as I'll have to wait for a decent ATI gfx driver ...
Needless to say how I'm disapointed at that point :cry:

:?:
Last one :
Still wanting to use synaptic, what is/are the repository/ies to put in it to give synaptic the ability to work as previously ?

Sorry to come with that bunch of things but I really need a hand on this one.

Many thanks in advance to all of you.