A problem wiht sound.

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Doogee
administrator
administrator

A problem wiht sound.

Post by Doogee » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:46 am

Ok i have gaim and xmms running.

The problem is that when im listening to music and i get messaged i hear no sound until i stop the music, at which point i get all the sounds i have missed.
That isnt too bad, i just turn the speakers down wile it goes "bing, bing, bing" for up to 10 minutes.

The REAL problem is that sometimes the next song in the playlist doesnt getr played and i get the "bing, bing, bing" and xmms spits out an error message saying the sound card is in use.

Is there anyway they can "share" the sound card so that when i get messaged i hear th e"bing" but my music continues to play?

Im using Gnome by the way.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:46 am

Looks like this guy had a similar issue and solved it by:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... adid=74373

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:01 am

that didnt work, gaim has no sounds and xmms says the sound card is in use.

EDIT: then when i do #killall artsd i get all the sounds i missed

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:00 pm

because artsd sucks.
i seem to remember i had a brute force solution involving killing artsd at all costs and also turning off all the sounds in the gaim config.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:20 pm

thats not good enough, in windows i can hear two sounds at once, why not in linux? Is it not good enough, because this problem is really starting to annoy me.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:18 pm

I don't know anything about GAIM but I can tell you I can have multiple things playing sound at the same time. Maybe you need to configure ALSA sound like I have:

http://freshrpms.net/docs/alsa/

It's a little tricky to get going but worth it. After setting up the ALSA drivers you then set all your apps to use it. I just played a *.WMV file in MPlayer while playing an MP3 in xmms (make sure you have the ALSA version of XMMS). I'm sure GAIM can also use ALSA. Even if it doesn't, it should work if it uses OSS but the rest of your sound apps use ALSA since when you set ALSA up OSS will be emulated through ALSA.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:30 pm

in mandrake linux it used alsa auto and i oculd never get sound working so, no, i dont think that is a good idea

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:09 pm

ALSA auto? Is that some sort of car? I just realized I have GAIM installed. I fired it up, started an MP3 playing in xmms and clicked the "test sounds" in GAIM and they played just fine while the MP3 was playing. So I would say, yes, I think that will solve your problem. We're not in Kansas any more Toto.

I have the ESS ES1978 Maestro 2E in this Compaq laptop and this is what my modules.conf looks like:

Code: Select all

# Ethernet Card Configuration
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias eth0 e100

#Sound Card start
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-es1968

# module options should go here
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# Load/Save mixer settings on Startup/Shutdown
post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
Here are the alsa RPMS I have installed:

rpm -qa | grep alsa

Code: Select all

alsaplayer-0.99.75-fr1
alsa-lib-devel-0.9.8-2.fr
alsa-utils-0.9.8-1.fr
xmms-alsa-1.2.8-3.2.fr
alsa-lib-0.9.8-2.fr
alsa-driver-0.9.8-4.fr
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-2.fr
kernel-module-alsa-0.9.8-4.fr_2.4.22_1.2115.nptl
Last edited by Void Main on Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:29 pm

mandrake uses alsa automatically is what i meant

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:34 pm

I've never had any luck with any version of Mandrake, but that's just me, many others like it. All I know is that Red Hat/Fedora have always worked for me. What sound card/chipset do you have (/sbin/lspci)?

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:09 pm

00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:48 pm

Looks like your card is the cmipci ALSA module. I would install all the ALSA software from FreshRPMS using apt and then use a combination of these two documents (and the links on them) to configure your modules.conf properly:

http://freshrpms.net/docs/alsa/
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=cmipci

I'm not entirely sure that kudzu didn't configure mine for me, but I may have done it manually.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:40 am

the alsa module is called snd-cmpci, i dont tgink the one im using currently (cmipci) is alsa.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:53 am

Yes, the ALSA module would be snd-cmipci. You need to configure your /etc/modules.conf to use the ALSA module and params (remove the old sound module lines and add the ALSA lines). I would think if you can't make heads or tails out of the documentation that I already pointed you to then typing "cm8738 alsa modules.conf fedora" into a google box should find you some examples of other people's working modules.conf. After you get the proper modules loaded you'll probably need to run alsamixer (or gnome-alsamixer) and unmute your sound settings and turn up the volumes before you'll actually hear sound. Also remember to go into your app preferences and set them to use the ALSA driver.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:17 pm

bizarre! i have the exact same sound card as void main in my compaq laptop and the exact same sound card as doogee in my desktop!

well on the laptop it's slack, never been bold enough to try alsa thereyet because i always arsed it up in RH. the desktop has red hat which so i think is a little quirky with that C-Media card, or so i read and i got a bit confused trying to make it fully functional in red hat anyway, so maybe this is your issue.

mandrake does indeed use alsa automatically, and while it is crapola at a lot of things, in a very windows like way, mandrake seems to have by far the best audio setup i've encountered in a bog standard linux installation. I am certain that somehow it would be possible to set up alsa as well in other linuces as mandrake has it from the word go.

very little substance there (i suppose you noticed) but you know, that's the kind of guy i am! ;-)