sharing directories across partitions

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Master of Reality
guru
guru

sharing directories across partitions

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:45 pm

erm... i have slackware 9.1 installed on hdb4 and fedora on hdb5. They are sharing a swap, but i dont think they have enough in common yet.

Since i have a bit of convenient stuff in my home folder, i would like to ask if it would be a horrible idea to....
mount hdb4 on /mnt/sl (or whatever) and then set the user "mor"'s home directory as /mnt/sl/home/mor

Would it work, or do the permissions in Slackware prevent any other user from anywhere else from accessing it?
Will it work if i give them the same UID or username (right now its not "mor" in Fedora but is in Slackware)

I may not do it anyway, because i am wary of mount both of my OS partitions at a time (due to me constantly screwing something up... and i would like to limit it to one OS each time)

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:52 pm

Yeh its perfectly do-able so long as you have the same UID. I think the problem you will have is that you will get the configuration files confuzling the other distro.

So perhaps have a shared folder within the /home/mor on one of the drives, ye?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:55 pm

the easy way is to ensure that the same user has the same user id number. i always make myself user number 501 if i can, so that i can share a /home partition with a lot of linuces. I suppose it wouldn't matter if the name was different in each OS, so long as the number was the same, except that if you were called, say, mor in one OS, and MoR in another, and you wanted to share /home then of course /home/MoR and /home/mor would be different directories. i would symlink one to the other myself, although it still looks messy in myopinion. If it were me i would just use the same username and same user ID in the different systems to be honest.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:57 pm

perhaps i will try it then. I just foolishly attempted to copy my home dir... well i didnt realize how little space i had left on my fedora partition and couldnt do it

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:50 pm

That's what you get for installing "Everything". :)

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:03 pm

one thing to note would be that fedora does not put users in the "users" group for some odd reason. So i made a new user called mor and made it with the same UID as my slackware install and had to make sure it was put in the "users" group even though fedora would not like to admit im a user.

It seems pretty good now. I could get used to Fedora :)

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:42 pm

herm... i tried starting KDE in slackware again and it would start. said something about DCOP connection error the first time i tried and no errors after that.

I chowned all the files as mor.users when in Fedora

So, alternatively now i chowned all the files in /home/mor as mor.users in slackware and the splash screen for kde started but it still didnt load any further.

I went into XFCE and tried starting kicker and it said something about the .ICEauthority file denying connection. I dont know if it is just because KDE isnt running or if there is actually something wrong with the file.

Other than changing the permissions back to what i thought they were (chown mor.users) i dont know what to try.

i dont see any errors in syslog or messages relating to KDE or X

Any ideas?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:44 pm

Are you running the same version of KDE on both sides of the house? Did you try deleting/renaming the .ICEauthority file?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:08 pm

the actual DCOP error was :

Code: Select all

Could not read network connection list.
/home/mor.DCOPserver_xen__0

please check that "dcopserver" program is running
I did not try deleting or renaming it. I will try that and... is there an actual dcopserver program?

I shall have to do this tomorry.... for the shadows call my name

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:23 am

i moved .ICEauthority and started dcopserver and it made a new and seems to work fine. I started kicker in xfce and it worked but i havent tried KDE again.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:56 pm

Tux wrote:Yeh its perfectly do-able so long as you have the same UID. I think the problem you will have is that you will get the configuration files confuzling the other distro.

So perhaps have a shared folder within the /home/mor on one of the drives, ye?
ok... im gonnna try this now.
But how would i share a folder. Is it possible to have more than one owner of the directory and all the files within?

...after reading the chmod manual, i would like to know...Should i:
have a users (100) group in both OSes.
have the users both members of group 100 (users)
and then chmod -R the home dir of slackware mor with the group ID bit set?

and then of course "ln -s /mnt/slackware/home/mor /home/mor"

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:08 pm

....errr.. i dont understand what the group ID bit does.. anyone know?