minicom?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

minicom?

Post by dishawjp » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:55 am

Hi All,

I got minicom up and running on my RH 8 box yesterday. It was the last program I really needed to have before I could consider dumping Windows entirely. I need a terminal dial up program to access one of my work networks from home and since my employer is paying for the 2nd phone line at my house so I can do this, it's kind of important.

Anyway, I got minicom up and running and can connect to the remote network, but only as root. I did edit the /etc/minicom.users file to add "ALL" under users, but just get error messages if I try to get in as anything other than root.

This is no "end of the world" issue; rather an annoyance. Any thoughts?

Jim (aka DOSman)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:07 am

Did you save a default setup as root (minicom -s)? If you did you will have a /etc/minicom.dfl file and then normal users should be able to use it.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:08 am

Hi Void,

I did do the minicom -s as root and must have saved the changes. I had to make several changes to get minicom to see my modem (it is ttyS4) and to set the modem init strings. I'm at work now and can't check to see if it did create a /etc/minicom.dfl file, but will take a look when I get home.

Thanks!

Jim