Red Hat Advanced Server 3

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Red Hat Advanced Server 3

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:31 pm

Well, I wiped out a RHAS 2.1/Oracle installation and installed a fresh copy of RHAS 3 Update 1 this morning on a 2U rack mount 4 processor HP with 4GB of RAM, ~100GB of SCSI hardware RAID, and 4 NICS (2 of them Gbit). I downloaded and burned the 4 CDs on Friday so I was ready to do the install this morning. It was my first look at RHAS 3.

I really didn't see any difference between it and RH9, although I didn't really expect to. I know there is quite a bit more work in the kernel for SMP servers like the one I installed on but other than that, there weren't any applications included that aren't included with RH9 (at least as far as I noticed). From start to finish I was done in about 45 minutes including running up2date, and that was installing nearly everything except for OOo and similar (around 2.5GB).

I must say that the installation went as smooth as a baby's bottom. Everything just worked. Of course it better work when you pay close to $7,000 for 3 copies (corporate types like to purchase the service even though it will likely never ever get used). Of course you can pay that much for other operating systems and not have nearly the trouble-free installation that I had, let alone trying to keep it working after it's installed. I won't name any names but their initials are Microsoft Windows.