Fedora wont install

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Fedora wont install

Post by Maniaman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:45 pm

Been trying to install Fedora on my old 200mhz computer to use as a small server for my house. (Was using mandrake until the harddrive in that comp died) Anyway, the video card in it is ancient, and X doesn't work with it so I have to use text based setup (I dont really care though, text setup rocks). After it asks me to check the disks (which I do and it says the disk is good) it will just hang at the blue screen with the Fedora Coreblahblah text at the top and the text saying the commands at the bottom. I hit alt+F4 to go to the thing that says the kernel messages (or whatever it's called) and I see a bunch of these start popping up:

<3>hdc: lost interrupt

Any idea how to fix?

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:52 pm

Also, Fedora will install fine when I install it on my 1.1ghz computer. I even tried hooking the harddrive I was going to install it on to my computer, got it all installed, and then put it back in the server computer... Everytime I selected it in grub the computer would restart :(

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:47 pm

Your system is probably hanging waiting for an interrupt from the IDE bus

I think the work around is to do something like pass

linux ide=nodma

at the boot option.

But you might want some confirmation for that first. I remember passing some IDE parameters when I had detection issues with a very old CD-RW, but I don't know a hell of a lot about this.

Alternatively you might want to create one of the special boot disks, say the one for the IDE bus. The manual should give this information.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:18 pm

I think Linux Frank is right on the money here. At the grub menu press "a" and add "ide=nodma" as Linux Frank suggested, then ENTER. If that doesn't do it there are other kernel params that may get it going. The other thing I'm wondering is jumper settings on the drive. Some machine/drive combos can all be set to CS but some have to be set specifically to master/slave. I've had strange things happen in that case where it "almost" seems to work, but once getting the jumpers right all is well.

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:26 pm

Passing the ide=nodma argument to the kernel at the grub boot screen doesn't help. The system still reboots for nor eason after linux starts booting. It did get rid of the lost interrupt messages during install though. *re-installing*

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:26 pm

Yay. it works now.

Now the hard part...
I've got my cablew modem hooked up to the server (eth1). At the package selection scrren I selected Text based internet (or something like that). My cable ISP requires that all people enter the netbios name of the computer to some website of theirs before we are able to make use of the connection. After configuring samba, how would I go about getting to that website and changing the settings? Maybe I should have installed X seeing as I'm a linux noob :p

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:08 pm

NetBIOS name? You have *got* to be kidding me?!? I would have to have a little talk with them about that. Tell them you don't run NetBIOS for security reasons and have them give you another way in. What provider do you have? Can you give me a link to their web site? I am half tempted to call them myself.

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:45 am

ISP - Insight BB.

www.insightbb.com

Every time I have to hook the modem up to a different computer, nothing works. When I try to access a webpage, a page will come up saying the computer is not registered to use the internet or some junk like that. It then asks for the computer name. I'll try to grab the link and the text from the page when I get home.

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:53 pm

Ok then.. would have gotten the rest of the stuff when I got home like I said I would, but oddly enough, my itnernet was down all day and until about 5 minutes ago today.

Can't grab the text from the page, but it says to enter the name of the computer or router. Even if it isn't the netbios name, I still need to add a name for the server or something, so how would I go about using this "text based internet" thingy.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:41 pm

It looks like this might help:
http://www.luci.org/luci-discuss/200308/msg00023.html

I really can't help you other than that since I don't have to do any of that. One thing I've noticed in my searches is you are supposed to put your account information in that web page, not your computer name.

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:45 pm

Odd... it doesn't ask me for account info, just the computer name. Anyway... that stuff aside, how would I go about getitng to that website via the command line to change anything? I apparently have no text based web browser installed, or if I do I haven't the slightest idea what the name is. I also cant seem to browse the cdrom for some reason (/mnt/cdrom isn't it?). Even when I have a cd-rom in the the drive it appears empty.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:03 pm

I like "lynx" for a text based browser. You would have to have installed the text based web tools but it would be on your CD. Don't forget to mount the CD prior to trying to browse it:

# mount /mnt/cdrom

Unmount and eject CD by:

# eject

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:03 pm

Ok. Got lynx installed :) Managed to get to the palce where I like register my computer and junk.

HEres another nice problem for you...
The button I need to click to register it shows up as [BUTTON] in lynx, and I have yet to figure out how to select it. The text [BUTTON] is all white and stuff...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:02 pm

You should be able to arrow to it (Up/Down arrows) and press ENTER. The Left/Right arrows are similar to pressing ALT+LeftArrow/ALT+RightArrow in Mozilla or other graphical browsers (or Forward/Back buttons).

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:09 pm

I tried using the up and down arrow keys, nothing seemed to happen though. (Installed lynx from this rpm: lynx-2.8.5-13.i386.rpm)