RHEL

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Ice9
guru
guru

RHEL

Post by Ice9 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:42 am

Do some of you have a professional relation with Red Hat, and if yes what are your thoughts about it?
I ask because of the following:
At the moment I work for a consultancy company which is entirely devoted to Linux solutions for the enterprise.
We deal with Red Hat, Suse and various other vendors and I must say that the Red Hat people are a total disappointment, they often act like amateurs and I feel like they lack the professional approach that is needed to make Linux really succesful in the enterprise.
In the beginning I pushed Red Hat quite heavily and got a few decent deals out of it but these days I don't feel like pushing them anymore, when you need help or support the Suse guys are much more pro-active and helpful.
Anyway, this was my rant and I would be very interested in hearing some counter-arguments or other opinions.

Thanks.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:30 am

I don't know, we run many instances of Red Hat advanced server and Oracle. I like it, but I must admit we have never had to make a support call to them so I can't say how that end of it is. I have had good luck submitting bugzilla reports though (not part of the paid for support).

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:27 am

Yeah, we run everything on Red Hat here too, but as far as our customers are concerned support just doesn't cut it.
If one of them ever needs support (and they pretty much all pay for 8x5 telephone support) they're gonna hear from Red Hat that they don't support anything else than the OS components.
As for SuSE, they offer support for everything that ships with the distro.
Not every company has a Void Main you know :wink:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:35 am

Hmmm, that's too bad because I do really like Red Hat (the distro). It will be interesting to see how SUSE support goes after Novell has had it a while.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:33 pm

Void Main wrote:Hmmm, that's too bad because I do really like Red Hat (the distro). It will be interesting to see how SUSE support goes after Novell has had it a while.
Probably to India.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:56 am

LOL :D