DHCP problem with Fedora Core1

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Kaelan
user
user

DHCP problem with Fedora Core1

Post by Kaelan » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:47 am

First I'd like to say, I'm fairly new to Linux. I'm not new to computers or to networking though.

I recently switched a Win2k PC (HP Vectra VL) over to Fedora Core1. Everything went smooth until it couldn't hit the DHCP server here at work. The NIC is a 3com 905B and was working perfectly on Win2k with DHCP. With Fedora (I also tried it with TurboLinux) I can't activate teh NIC since it fails to hit the DHCP server. I have tried manualy setting the IRQ for the NIC at 5, 10 and 11. Still no luck.

I really want to keep Linux on this PC however if I can't access the network, then it won't be much use to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kaelan

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:36 am

Wow, it shouldn't have had any trouble with a 905B card although I've never tried Fedora with said card. I have used that card in much older versions of Red Hat with no trouble. Just as a test have you tried setting a static address and setting your gateway and DNS servers statically?

Kaelan
user
user

Post by Kaelan » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:08 pm

yeah.. I tried setting a static IP, netmask, gateway and DNS.. no luck. However, I did go back in and tell it IRQ 11 and IO 300... works like a charm.... DHCP working.. Guess it's just one of those quirks. No biggie, I'm just glad that I finaly have a Linux box to use everyday.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:36 pm

Sorry I didn't have time to look into this today. If I had I would have found this:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/sh ... ?id=107389

It does appear to be a problem with Fedora Core 1 and RHES 3.0. Others reported the same thing I mentioned about the card working flawlessly on RH9 and before and had problems with FC1. Glad you found a workaround! If things were working properly kudzu would have picked up on all the settings and configured it properly for you.

Kaelan
user
user

Post by Kaelan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:00 am

thanks Void.. I came into work today and the NIC wasn't responding again. I did an interactive reboot and told it to not load kudzu. presto, working great now.