Hosting an ntp server?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:33 pm

Man that sucked. I tried the very liberal rule you suggested and it still did not work so I looked into existing rules and saw an interesting one that was a default rule applied from /etc/sysconfig/iptables at service startup that rejected all udp requests from ports 0-1023.

-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 0:1023 -j REJECT

Once I stopped the service, commented this out and then restarted iptables it wokred fine. Thanks for the help on this. I think I will eventually take the same road as you and disable iptables on my networked machines.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:59 pm

Ahh, yep that one would do it. Glad you got it working. Yeah, on machines that aren't connected directly to the Internet you can weigh the risks of not running firewalls on the individual machines. For the Linux and MAC machines I would say not to worry about it. On the Windows machines you still might want to run a personal firewall since you are susceptible to viruses. You can run an application level firewall so that your machine will not send any mail out except from your mail application for instance. At any rate, I'm glad I wasn't losing my mind. :)