I'm going "unstable" tonight

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Ice9
guru
guru

I'm going "unstable" tonight

Post by Ice9 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:19 am

So far my experience with the testing branch has been pretty good, a few minor problems but overall very good.
I feel like I've reached a stage where I can strat from scratch and be back up and running with the more or less same level of tuning within a couple of hours so I'm gonna give unstable a try.
I'm always looking for all the latest versions anyway so I might just take the plunge!

I'm gonna describe the steps I will take, please tell me if I forget anything, otherwise just wish me good luck :D

- # apt-get update
- # apt-get dist-upgrade
- change default branch in /etc/apt/apt.conf
- remove /etc/apt/preferences (pinning is not necessary anymore because I won't use mixed repositories)
- replace the testing repositories by unstable repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list
- # apt-get update
- # apt-get dist-upgrade
After this I will be either weeping/cursing/sweating because my system is totally sc**wed or jumping up and down on my chair contemplating the beauty of KDE 3.3.1 :twisted:

One thing I'm not totally clear about is the necessity of a debian.security repository when using unstable.
I think it's not needed because there is no specific packaging of security fixes for unstable, it's left to the original package maintainer to provide a new version of his package minus the security issue, so it's probably pretty pointless to include the debian.security entry from the testing branch ....

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:16 am

I have upgraded to SID in the same way you describe so I don't think you should have too many problems. I remember having apt die a few times in the process on the last upgrade but just did an "apt-get dist-upgrade" and it picked up where it left off. But that was on a SPARC system, I don't think I had any trouble on x86 systems. I think you are correct about the security repos, I don't believe there are any for SID (again, not in range of my Debian boxen at the moment).

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:19 pm

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This may seem like no big deal for the regular users around here but I'm kinda proud of myself :D
I'm actually running Sid!

In a little less than 45 minutes apt-get fetched and installed/configured more than 450 packages, reboot and everything was still there and more importantly, still working!!!

Man, this feels sooooooooooooo good. :twisted: