using a digital camera?

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Ice9
guru
guru

using a digital camera?

Post by Ice9 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:37 am

Yesterday I got a Kodak LS 743 digital camera from work.
A quick look on the web told me that gphoto2 provides support for that camera so I assumed everything would go smoothly.
Well, not really, it's not really bad because I finally got the camera to work but ...

I installed gphoto2 and then I went on to install digikam to have a nice frontend.
When I run digikam it can't see my camera , same when I run gphoto --auto-detect I get nothing.
I searched on the web just to find that there's very little information on using Kodak cameras with linux.
Spent a few hours trying, searching, unplug-replug usb cables, changing usb ports, nothing helped.
I was about to take it back and ask for another one to see if the camera worked ok, but i thought I'd give it one more try but then run everything as root.
I added myself to the sudoers file and VOILA, camera is recognized and I can use it with digikam.
Any ideas on what I should do to be able to use my camera as regular user without having to resort to "tricks" a la sudo?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:37 am

I'm guessing this is a device permissions issue. You say it's USB? What are the permissions on the device file that is being accessed? You could change the udev config to set it up with enough permission for your user to access it.

Here's gphoto notes on USB permissions:
http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html

I mount my digital camera just like a disk drive.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:00 pm

Thanks Void Main, but as it turns out it was just a matter of adding myself to the camera group and RESTART.
I didn't know the changes to groups and users weren't taken into account immediately after the change but a friend of mine asked me if I restarted the session after updating the groups (I didn't) so it's the first thing I checked when I got home and sure enough now everything works like a charm.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:40 pm

Ice9 wrote:Thanks Void Main, but as it turns out it was just a matter of adding myself to the camera group and RESTART.
I didn't know the changes to groups and users weren't taken into account immediately after the change but a friend of mine asked me if I restarted the session after updating the groups (I didn't) so it's the first thing I checked when I got home and sure enough now everything works like a charm.
Yep that will do it. You shouldn't have to restart though, just log off and log back on.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:49 am

Void Man wrote:
You shouldn't have to restart though, just log off and log back on.
That's what I meant by restarting the session :D

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:23 am

What do you do when your boots wear out?

Reboot.