Apt powah!!!

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Ice9
guru
guru

Apt powah!!!

Post by Ice9 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:39 pm

Woah, time and time again this sweeps me off my feet :D
Just did an upgrade of my main box, upgraded 496 packages, removed 20 ...
Hands shaking, hit Enter, type Y and hit Enter again ....
10 minutes later I'm sitting in front of the most beautiful KDE 3.5, running on top of a new kernel with everything still working as it used to PLUS my nvidia problems solved!
Apparently it was due to a Superkaramba applet which is now integrated in KDE .......

I feel soooo sorry for all those poor Winblows users ...
:twisted:

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:25 pm

Intersting because I recently did the same thing (on FC4 though) and most of my applications got hosed. MySQL took a crap, all my php scripts died because php5 was installed and mysql.so is not internally linked any more. My name server was hosed because the update copied my config file to an rpmsave file but then started using a default config file upon reload (thank God it at least saved it).

My perl DBI module was uninstalled somehow so I had to grab that again. The new install of mysql was hosed and gave deadlock errors on all my tables that used the InnoDB engine. So on and so forth. It was probably my fault though. I know better than to upgrade 500 MB worth of updates on a production server.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 pm

I have upgraded older versions of Red Hat and Fedora using apt but have always had some sort of issues that needed resolving. Upgrading from a booted Fedora CD is definitely the preferred method to upgrade Fedora. Debian usually doesn't have problems like this which is what Ice9 uses. With Fedora apt is a red headed step-child. With Debian it's the life blood. I'm tell you Ice9, it won't be long before I make the switch. I should at least move all my servers over to it.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:47 am

I think I am headed in that direction myself. I have really like what I have seen from newer version of Knoppix and am getting tired of some of the quirks of FC.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:22 pm

i am liking the sound of debian actually. i can't "switch" till after may, when my course ends and i no longer need the current software to be installed, but i will look forward to using debian again rather than fedora 4 (which has nothing wrong with it but, you know, the grass is always etc etc...)

is the "official" debian sarge yet btw?

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:26 pm

Calum wrote:
is the "official" debian sarge yet btw?
Yes, Sarge is the "stable" version at the moment.
Packages in the stable tree can be slightly "outdated" though so if you want all the fairly recent stuff you definitely want to go for "testing" at least.