Man! I'm Happy now!

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Man! I'm Happy now!

Post by JoeDude » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:05 pm

Ok, after the SuSE events, I decided to try out the ubuntu 6.06 I just downloaded and burned.

I repartitioned my hd, installed, it asked me a few questions and bang, it was installed. As it was shutting down, the end session tune sounded. I was like, yeah man, I don't have to configure my sound card!

I rebooted and boom! It was online checking for updates...all ready! So I was like, Yeah Man! I don't have to config my ethernet card!

It downloaded and installed all the updates, then asked to reboot...I was like, Uh oh man...Suse never did that!

I rebooted, checked my video card, all ready config'ed! I was like, Yeah Man! I don't have to config my vid card.

I've stopped at that pointt to come here and express my happiness to you all!

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:19 pm

Welcome to the happy Debian family :wink:

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:50 pm

And to the Ubuntu community :)

Yeah Man, i don't have to configure this guy's attitude :-D

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:51 am

LMAO!

OK, update...

I've played with it a bit, and haven't had...I say again...HAD to tweak or config a single thing. That makes me warm n fuzzy.

But of course, I have a bit. Too easy! So far no crashes or , hey duid, you skarewed it up!!! so I must be going ok.

I have started using automatix and have to say, the amount of STUFF out there is just great...now if I could find a messenger that allows me to cam, voice and photoshare in yahoo!

Not a chance

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:38 am

Kopete should allow you to "cam, voice and photoshare in yahoo".
Only prerequisite is the jasper image convert program.
And a simple

Code: Select all

apt-get install libjasper libjasper-dev
should take care of that.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:57 pm

I 'urgh' at automatix :(
It has caused a lot, lot of irreparible damage. Supposedly it has improved a lot since then, but those who have read the code say it's still a quick and bad hack.
In fact, if any local gurus would care to have a look at it and review it from a technical point of view, it would be a very valuable PoV for me, as I'm on the easyubuntu team - easyubuntu arose when the guy monopolistically developping aut'x refused one of our guy's bugfixes. He even violated the GPL seriously in the process, not to mention the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:29 am

A bunch of forum moderators were 'liberated' recently. I find it an interesting coincidence that they seem to be the ones who backed up automatix so vigorously in the past. Please don't dig into the subject too deep, though, it can be touchy (/me hopes none of those are reading this ツ)

A side effect was that i'm now a moderator there :) Oooh, more work for me, yay.