question about permanent usb storage device

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Ice9
guru
guru

question about permanent usb storage device

Post by Ice9 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:42 am

I own a Plextor 2.5" 120GB USB drive which is permanently hooked up to my pc - it doesn't need a power supply so I never unplug it.

I added following line to fstab to be able to mount it as non-root

Code: Select all

/dev/sda1	/media/Plextor	vfat	rw,user,noauto	0	0
It works ok BUT .... last week it reched the maximal mount count and fsck attempted to check it and froze - becasue it's a fat32 partition?
Now I have to unplug it and plug it back in when I want to use it, which is a bit of a pain because I camouflaged the usb cable behind my monitor and I have to climb on chairs and stuff to be able to grab the darn thing
:D

My question is really simple:
Is there a way to disable the "maximal mount count and then check forced" thing for the usb storage device?
Perhaps by modifyiong the line in fstab?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:09 am

Hmmm, are you sure it's the vfat partition that is reaching it's maximum mount count and forcing a check? There are a couple of things that make me think the problem is not your vfat partition. 1) vfat doesn't have a maximum mount count as part of it's structure like ext2/ext3 have, at least not that I am aware of, and 2) the "0" at the end of the line in the /etc/fstab file should tell it to not check the file system regardless of what the mount count and max mount count fields contain.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:47 am

I thought that the 0 in the fstab only referred to unclean shutdowns?
(its an unrelated question, because as you said, there is no maximum mount count for vfat )

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:53 am

$ man fstab
The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks
are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems
should have a fs_passno of 2. Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on dif-
ferent drives will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware. If the sixth
field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not
need to be checked.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:24 pm

Void Main wrote:
Hmmm, are you sure it's the vfat partition that is reaching it's maximum mount count and forcing a check?
Well, I'm not 100% sure anymore now, especially since you tell me there's no maximum mount count for vfat partitions.
I know my /dev/sda1 partition got fsck-ed during boot and my pc froze on it though.

I have no probs anymore since I unplugged it - other than having to climb on chairs that is!

I will leave it plugged in again for a while and see what happens.
If I run into trouble again I'll make sure I have the exact error message.

EDIT:
And I did read the man page and notice the 0 issue, that's why I pasted my fstab line.
:)