Sidux/Debian GNU/Linux

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Calum
guru
guru

Sidux/Debian GNU/Linux

Post by Calum » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:58 am

Hi all!

well, i took ice9's advice about installing debian using sidux and i must say i haven't regretted it. thanks ice9! you haven't steered me wrong yet!

sidux is a bootable live cd, very similar to knoppix, but it has an icon on the desktop which starts a very nice, easy to use graphical installer for debian. it's an easier installer to use than most because it doesn't go into all the minutiae of package selection etc (which is actually a feature i used to value in the mandrake installer). You can just go through the options very quickly and then commit. Of course the live CD is perfectly functional itself and could be used without installing.

I think i may have had to use a knoppix cd to do my partitioning though, not sure if partitioning can be done easily with the sidux cd or not or what the reason was that i used knoppix (well, qparted) for that. i do remember i tried a couple of different disks to partition which didn't manage to do the partitioning the way i wanted it done.

Anyway, once you reboot into the newly installed sidux you can then go ahead and use apt to install whatever you need, everything pretty much works out of the box. This is on an IBM NetVista from a couple of years ago, a Lenovo/IBM NetVista 8305-42G. YMMV of course.

The only thing i'm not too keen on is the new debian forks of firefox and mozilla (iceweasel and iceape). The story i read on wikipedia is that this is purely a copyright thing, with a change in name and graphics to honour mozilla's EULA, but i have had various niggly issues with these browsers, shockwave flash not working sometimes and all that, so i have downloaded binaries of seamonkey and firefox from mozilla.org and .com to see if they will be any better. Of course iceweasel identifies itself as firefox, so you can't actually run them at the same time as though they were separate programs. As such, i'm uninstalling iceape and iceweasel to avoid any issues (even though i'm putting the vanilla mozilla/firefox in /opt, and i've sorted out all the symlinks, so theoretically i wouldn't have expected any problems). It's a bit of a shame that you can't apparently get debs of the vanilla moz/firefox binaries using apt though, if you put apt-get install seamonkey firefox then it will just install iceape and iceweasel instead. Anyway......

I now have a working and running debian system, and i don't expect to change it for anything else (like mandriva, slack and fedora, my usuals, both with too many issues that i can't figure out how to fix/configure). So far any small issues i've had with this debian system i have been able to easily sort out, and there haven't been many. For years i've tried to install debian and never been able to get it into a state where i would comfortably use it (rather than "play around" with it, something that many people think the linux OS is for!) but this is up to that standard from the word "go"!. I must say that ubuntu and xandros both failed me where sidux has succeeded. Very good.

Now, i have one unrelated question, but rather than start a new thread for something this small, i'll just ask it here. I want to alias su to sux, so that sux will always be invoked when su is. basically, i want root to be able to use X when logged in using su. I tried to do this by putting

Code: Select all

alias su=sux
into /etc/profile but this has had no apparent effect. do you know of a way that this can be done, and also do you happen to know why this didn't work?

Calum
guru
guru

thunar refresh issue

Post by Calum » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:01 am

one other thing that annoys me, and i did google it, but came up with many irrelevant answers, perhaps my google is jinxed... is that in my nice new debian system the XFce desktop and Thunar do not refresh/update to show the current contents of the directory after another app alters them.

example: i download a tar.gz file to my XFce Desktop (or my home directory), then i can see it on the Desktop when i look (or in a thunar window when i open my home dir), so far so good. But say i then open an xterm and extract the contents with tar -xvzf foo*.tar.gz for instance, i can see in the terminal (by using ls, and also by the command output) tht it's all happened, but the Desktop, or thunar window, do not reflect this until i presh ctrl-r to refresh.

This never (ever!) happened with XFce in Fedora, and it's quite irritating. Any ideas for how to sort this one? I assume there must be some setting, i know it can work because it did in Fedora. Perhaps there's some package i need to install (i suspect it may be a gnome package) that will make it work magically...

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:56 am

Sorry can't help you with your Xfce problem Calum. :(
Glad you like Sidux though, it's been a rock-solid install of the "unstable branch".

On the iceweasel and iceape issue on the other hand I'm quite stumped because I've been using these for almost as long as I've been using Debian now and I never had a complaint.

The reason why the Debian folks forked Firefox and Seamonkey was partly a copyright issue related to the icons and logos but was also patch/fix related.
If I recall correctly the mozilla guys weren't too happy with the fact that patches and fixes were uploaded to the apt repositories without waiting for an approval of the mozilla foundation.
The fact that Debian was associating the Firefox logo to a build the foundation had no control over was the start of the argument.
When it got to the point of mozilla talking about legal actions they forked the project, end of story :D

Edit:

Why would you want to log in X as root though?
You can start whatever app you want with root credentials.
In a terminal when I type

Code: Select all

$ kdesu nameoftheapp
it brings up a box where I enter the root password and the application starts with root credentials.
You should be able to do the same using "gksu" ...

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Re: Sidux/Debian GNU/Linux

Post by insomnia » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:40 pm

Calum wrote: Of course iceweasel identifies itself as firefox, so you can't actually run them at the same time as though they were separate programs.
Are you sure about this?
Plain good old Debian rightfully doesn't (most Debian folks feel very strongly about this, their's still an ongoing discussion on how to deal with this crap on the mailing lists).

I personally don't visit sites that abuse your browser's user agent.