One more reaon to love Knoppix, trying for yet another!

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
s_PeePs
user
user

One more reaon to love Knoppix, trying for yet another!

Post by s_PeePs » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:44 am

One more great thiing about KNOPPIX is the way it automatically lists all partitions on a hard drive right on the desktop for easy mounting. This easily solves a big problem for a compulsive distro hopper like me. I can load up as many distros as I can fit on an 80GB hard drive, adjust my permissions and use KNOPPIX as distro central, a place where I can gather and store work from whatever weird-ass distro I feel like using on any given day.

Knoippix installed on the hard drive is essentially Debian wiith a new kernel, and that may solve another longstanding problem for me. I've always loved Debian Woody, but could never get my sound card to work with the older 2.2.20 kernel, and I was wondering if I could simply take my 7 disks of Debian software and index them with Knoppix's package management system the same way I do with Woody. I've got a lot to do these days, so if anybody knows why this would be a waste of time, a brief word would be appreciated.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:22 am

i don't know this to be a waste of time, but unless you have tried knoppix on your hard drive already and are happy with it, i might suggest going with another debian based distro for the desktop. i used xandros (which is just debian sarge/testing with a revised GUI and a good range of GUI tools), and just upgraded to even more current versions using apt-get dist-upgrade and i hear libranet is at least as good as xandros. i find xandros is better and less buggy than when i installed knoppix to hard disk and it is as user friendly as knoppix, although now i think on it, you might have a problem putting your hard drive partitions on a kde desktop in xandros, they seem to have removed one or two parts of the functionality in kde for no apparent reason, so again if you are pushed for time, maybe not take my advice, although i do think xandros would be better overall on the hard drive than knoppix would be.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:38 am

it might be a good idea to ignore my comments about using xandrosinstead of knoppix, see here for example:
http://promote-opensource.org/forums/vi ... .php?t=104

well, i found knoppix a little buggy on the hard drive but maybe i am in the minority.

s_PeePs
user
user

Post by s_PeePs » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:45 am

Hmmmm.. Maybe not. Definitely buggy. A pity.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:28 pm

WOOHOO.

I decide I ought to get a copy of Knoppix, everyone keeps saying it is great to have around.

Bloody Hell. I did a quick config for the net and it screams compared to anything I have actually ever installled on my system. And booting off of the CD is actually faster than booting my normal Mandrake. Gonna keep this one in the backpack. I can see uses for it.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:12 am

And talking of which. Has anyone got any good tips for using Knoppix as a diagnostic tool. I want to run system level tests on various parts, but I am not sure how to go about this.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:54 am

Considered Knoppix STD (Security Tools Distribution!)?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:35 am

Downloading it now. I booted up Knoppix the other day because I needed chntpw only to find out it wasn't on the regular Knoppix disk. :( I see it listed on KNOPPIX-STD so if I ever need it again. I just downloaded the floppy image and used chntpw from it to solve the issue.

blackbelt_jones
n00b
n00b

Post by blackbelt_jones » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:14 am

Well, now there's kanotix, which makes a GRRRRREAT Hard drive install.