wont bloddy compile

Place to discuss Slackware
Doogee
administrator
administrator

wont bloddy compile

Post by Doogee » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:29 am

hello

Im trying to learn gui programming through GTK, and found something called easy GTK, which is a GTK library that is, easy.
Any way here's what spews out of my terminal.

Code: Select all

dan@dans-computer:~/easygtk$ ./configure
Reading current system configuration...
Checking for c...Found!
Configuring EasyGTK for your system...
Checking for gtk-1.2...Found!
Checking for Imlib...Found!
Checking for Magick...Found!
Checking for gnome...Found!
Creating Makefile
dan@dans-computer:~/easygtk$ make
gcc -Wall -O -I. -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11 -DUSE_IMLIB -DUSE_MAGICK -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11/magick -I/usr/local/include/magick -DUSE_GNOME -I/usr/include/gnome-1.0 -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/usr/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include  -c easygtk.c
In file included from easygtk.c:2:
easygtk.h:15: magick.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [all] Error 1
dan@dans-computer:~/easygtk$

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:08 am

I just did a little research for ya. It appears that "magick.h" is part of the ImageMagick-devel package. However, the ImageMagick-devel included with Red Hat 8.0 seems to be missing many of the headers. It's in the ImageMagick-devel for Red Hat 7.3 and below and it's also in the ImageMagick-devel for the Rawhide version (development).

So I would suggest grabbing the Rawhide version "ImageMagick" and "ImageMagick-devel" and see if that solves the problem. Of course this assumes you are running Red Hat 8.0. If you are not just search for the ImageMagick-devel equiv for your distro. [edit]I now see this in the Slackware section (I'm quick) so again, it's part of ImageMagick, you're on your own finding the slackware packages unless someone else here can help[/edit].
Last edited by Void Main on Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:13 am

err well i use slack, so what do you suggest i look for?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:15 am

I just noticed that, reread my previous message. I was editing it while you were posting...

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:06 pm

This is the website I think.

http://www.imagemagick.org/www/archives.html?

There does not appear a slack specific binary. However there is source.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:17 pm

Heh heh, I just had to install ImageMagick from source on my Red Hat 7.0 server because I needed the latest version for a php based photo gallery. When I installed from source it put the magick.h in the /usr/local/include/magick directory. Hopefully your configure will pick up on that.

Also, I lied about the ImageMagick that comes with Red Hat 8.0. I don't know what I was looking at but it most certainly does include "magick.h" in /usr/include/magick. Time for a break!

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:20 pm

well it worked sortof, it no longer gave me an error that it cant find magick.h bu i think this version is too new for easy gtk

so now what i want to know is what are some good gui programming libs? gtk is stupid its like 3 pages just to write hello world on a click button, i tried tkinter/python but thats not ver flexible and the widgets look crap. QT test program i got of a website didnt want to compile.

Suggestions?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:37 pm

Most GUI apps do require a lot of source just for the basics. Tools like kdevelop will generate most of the boring stuff for you. Kdevelop can create KDE and QT apps.