stupid slack questions. sound & net

Place to discuss Slackware
Calum
guru
guru

stupid slack questions. sound & net

Post by Calum » Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:15 pm

hello.

i am connected using slackware 8.1 to the net. i had to use kppp. for some reason gnome-ppp isn't working for me. also i have NOT one clue how to do all that ppp stuff using the command line. how do you do that?

also, i have a c-media sound card. doogee said i just needed to modprobe cmpci to get it to work, but no. i did that, and still no sound.

anybody know anything about this? i am blind in both of these areas and would like to learn about it in the process of getting it to work.

thanks in advance.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:07 am

wow seven people viewed this so far and three or four of them were me! ;)

anyway, all i needed to do was to add /sbin/modprobe cmpci to the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.M and then chmod /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer to 777.

also, i installed kde just so i could use kppp. pretty sad, eh?

a couple of more questions:

in red hat, when i shutdown -h now, the machine literally switches off. when i do it in slackware, the system just halts, leaving the machine on. how do i set it so the machine switches off too, and it would be nice if i could get this to happen when using gui tools too (like when you log out of kde and it says do you want to log out, reboot or turn off the computer)

also i really need to read up on sudo i think because i want to give users permission to do stuff (like shutdown -h now for example) is that the right command to read up on?

and how do i do the modem/internet thing using command line commands please.

sorry i know i am not too clued up,

Nobber
user
user

Post by Nobber » Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:21 am

Calum wrote: and how do i do the modem/internet thing using command line commands please.
Back when I was distro whoring, I seem to remember using a ppp setup tool on Slackware that's very similar to Debian's pppconfig. pppsetup, perhaps. Have you used that yet?

The way I got ppp working on my current system was to nick the ppp config files and chatscripts from a working Debian system that I'd already run pppconfig on. Now I can just do:

pppd call ispname

to dial up, and

skill -c pppd

to disconnect. (Though to make life easier in X I use GKrellM, so now it's as simple is clicking a button on and off.)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:01 am

i did already try out pppsetup and pppconfig in slack but neither command appears to exist. :?

also, i wiped my debian partition so cannot copy anything over from it!

well, i will persist, i am such a networking newbie that anything i might learn (even the wrong thing) would be a bonus.