ROX Filer

Place to discuss Slackware
Doogee
administrator
administrator

ROX Filer

Post by Doogee » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:53 pm

This is probably most directed at calum, but any help is welcome.

Ive just installed rox-filer (took about a minute) and the file manager i must say, kicks quite a bit of ass.

Well, im now kindof migtrating from gnome to XFCE, which also kicks ass, and i find its panel is good, so i dont want the rox-filer panel thing (which does exist, look at the screenies on the site) but i would like to use the desktop icons and stuff.

So, how do i get the desktop icons to happen?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:42 am

the short answer is: i don't know. what i did to get desktop icons, and i really recomend it, is i installed dfm ( http://www.kaisersite.de/dfm/ ) which provides the desktop icons and a file manager. the file manager isn't as good as the rox one, but it has one or two other features so what i will be doing is running xfce, and using the dfm desktop icons, and using rox as the file manager only, with a link to dfm in my XFce toolbar.

basically that's just the way i like it set up, as far as i can see though the panel along the side/top/bottom of the screen is what rox refers to as the "desktop", have a look at man rox and rox --help (which seems to only work if you go to the rox installation directory and do Appstart --help actually) for more info, i've only used rox for a couple of hours so i am not too up on how it all works.

note: dfm can use icons but it can only use xpm ones, not png ones seemingly. i haven't tried it with xbm and so on, but you know, i'm a busy guy.

i have a tgz that i made (and will have to remake now) that installs all my favourite icons in /usr/share/icons including all the ones from lycoris desktop 3, mandrake 9 and red hat 8, so what i did was just create /usr/share/icons/xpm and copied all the .xpm files from /usr/share/icons/* and /usr/share/pixmaps into there. also the ones from /usr/share/xfce/icons and /usr/share/dfm/icons (i think) it's easier to change your desktop icons if you know you have one directory where all the icons will work, specially since dfm doesn't seem to be able to give you image previews in the file manager window.

incidentally, this isn't slackware specific, in case any non slack people are interested in this.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:30 am

they seem to have something like rox-session, maybe they have a window manager :?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:55 am

they do, i found it on their site yesterday, but have not used it. i find the xfce one fine. i might try and get it set up so that i can use rox window manager, file manager, panel et cetera on a 'clean' x session by running some script from the bash prompt, but haven't done it yet and probably won't get round to it for a good while.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:31 am

i actually like the xfce panel a lot, and i just got dfm working (which is good)

but i really love the rox filer.

So ive got a great combination going!

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:45 am

me too, i just got that setup going last night.

i think i will be using that combination until enlightenment 017 comes out, when i might go adventuring into how to use it.

did yu find out if dfm and rox-filer are drag and drop compatible yet? i forgot to check last night.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:20 pm

[quote="Calum"until enlightenment 017 comes out[/quote]

The moon will finish breaking away from earth's gravity by the time that's released!