Should I Get free space when i delete 300 Megs of stuff

Place to discuss Slackware
Doogee
administrator
administrator

Should I Get free space when i delete 300 Megs of stuff

Post by Doogee » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:19 pm

I just copied over 300megs of stuff to my sisters harddrive over Samba and then deleted them on my hard drive (i need the space)

The Files are gone, but i still have 0 megs of free space, and i cant do anything because the programs are unable to make their temp files.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:32 pm

Sounds like you have some program eating up your disk space. Are your logs growing out of control? I usually use the "du" command to figure out where all the disk space is going. e.g.:

# cd /var
# du -sk *

Which will give me a list of subdirectories under /var and how much disk space is eaten up by their contents. If something looks unusually large I change into that subdirectory and continue looking:

# cd /var/log
# du -sk *

Might find a log file growing out of control. Another place I usually gain space back is by doing a "make clean" in my kernel source directories as I usually have the source for a few different kernels lying around. Also I sometimes let my /usr/src/redhat/* directories fill up (I know you don't use Red Hat but if you did). And if you've built Wine or WineX that will eat up much disk space and you could delete the source directories. Another thing is you could remove many of the "devel" packages (headers) if you have them installed.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:44 pm

not as big as that,

I am used to deleting through the Command Line, but this time i needed to select certain files, so i used nautilus, and nautilus kindly puts things in the trash :oops:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:26 am

So I take it emptying the trash solved your problem? :)

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:37 am

yes :oops: