CDROM problems

Place to discuss Slackware
Master of Reality
guru
guru

CDROM problems

Post by Master of Reality » Thu May 08, 2003 5:14 pm

dunno where to post this... there is no Linux hardware forum.

I have a CDROM and a CD-RW in my computer. I can burn things fine with XCDRoast. They should be /dev/hdc (should be cdrom) and /dev/hdd (should be cdrw).
There is a /dev/cdrom but no /dev/cdrom1.
When i try to mount /dev/cdrom it gives me the error:

Code: Select all

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
This is with a cd in both drives (so if they are inbackwards order it would still work).
Both the CDroms worked in redhat and i'm almost positive they worked in slackware8.2 (i dont use CDs much) I'm using SLackware9.0 now, any ideas as to why this is happening or how to fix it?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu May 08, 2003 5:26 pm

Seems to be Slackware you are working with so I moved it to the Slackware forum. I have never really owned any "Linux Hardware". :)

In order to use your burner you need to use the "ide-scsi" module and address it as a SCSI device (usually /dev/scd0). Even if you want to address them both as IDE (and not be able to burn CDs), that is, on /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd then just create symbolic links to those device files. /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom2 should be nothing more than a symbolic link. I always create them manually to point to the drive I want. The symbolic links don't even have to be called "/dev/cdrom", they can be called anything you want as long as you make them match in /etc/fstab. In fact you can just use the /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd names directly if you want.

# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom1
# ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom2

Or in my case it's:

# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
# ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom2

And in my GRUB/LILO configuration I pass "hdd=ide-scsi" because my burner is a slave on my secondary IDE channel. My reader is the master on the secondary IDE channel.

Check and see what your /dev/cdrom is pointing to by typing "ls -l /dev/cdrom".

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri May 09, 2003 4:14 am

i had a similar (identical?) pnot long ago, the thread is here:
http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/vi ... .php?t=300
maybe something in there will be of interest to you.