Installing ALSA issues...

Place to discuss Slackware
Calum
guru
guru

Installing ALSA issues...

Post by Calum » Sat May 10, 2003 10:34 am

i am following the instructions at http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/do ... mipci.php3 because i have the C-Media card that these instructions are specific to.

I can do the ./configure && make && make install section no problem, but when i try to "modprobe snd-cmipci" i get "modprobe: Can't locate module snd-cmipci". i have the example /etc/modules.conf file in place, but i have little understanding of what i can do to fiddle with this to get it to work. sound is still working fine using OSS (i assume, this is what slackware comes with i think and xmms appears to only work when using the OSS output plugin, mplayer does an odd thing too where it complains it cannot use /dev/dsp but i can still hear sounds fine and can adjust them using aumix).

So, anybody got any idea why i can't modprobe these and how i can fix it? i am following the instructions to the letter, but one thing i notice is that when i do "modprobe -n soundcore" i get no output whatsoever, it just goes to a new prompt on the next line...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Installing ALSA issues...

Post by Void Main » Sat May 10, 2003 10:55 am

Calum wrote:I can do the ./configure && make && make install section no problem, but when i try to "modprobe snd-cmipci" i get "modprobe: Can't locate module snd-cmipci".
I have never used ALSA but in order for modprobe to load a module it must exist somewhere under the "/lib/modules/`uname -r`" directory structure. You can quickly check that by doing this:

$ find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep snd-cmipci

If the module exists but modprobe can still not find it then try doing this:

# depmod -a

Then rerun your "modprobe" command. Don't know if that will help, hopefully it will.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat May 10, 2003 11:10 am

and if they're not there?
the find command gave me no results however:

Code: Select all

calum@boxotrix:~$ find /usr/src | grep snd-cmipci
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/drivers/sound/snd-cmipci.o
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-0.9.2/modules/snd-cmipci.o
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-0.9.2/pci/snd-cmipci.o
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-0.9.2/lib/modules/2.4.20-s.1/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.o
so do i just copy them into /lib/modules ?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat May 10, 2003 11:17 am

Well I would have thought that a "make install" would have put them in the right place but apparently not. If you want to manually put them under /lib/modules I would put them in "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/sound". Then do a "depmod -a". If that doesn't work I'll look over the link you posted in your original message...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat May 10, 2003 2:26 pm

i was wondering about something. i used checkinstall to install alsa (like i do with every source package) this basically snags the location of the new files any install makes and it creates a linux package (in this case a slackware one) containing the new files and installs it using the system's package manager, but i did "make install" again without using checkinstall and it looks as though the new modules have been copied into /lib/modules. I don't know if checkinstall was the problem before but it's fixed now. however i am still a little flummoxed because i appear to be having the same error...

root@boxotrix:/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-0.9.2# depmod -a
root@boxotrix# find /lib/modules/ -name snd-cmipci* -print
/lib/modules/2.4.20-s.1/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.o
root@boxotrix# modprobe snd-cmipci
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-cmipci
afterthought: i bet i have hit on the problem... for some reason (possibly to do with some aborted kernel recompile from the past) i am seeing the following when i do 'uname -r':

root@boxotrix:/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-0.9.2# uname -r
however you will see that "make install" is putting the files into /lib/modules/2.4.20-s.1/ instead for some reason. why do you think this might be or more importantly i wonder if there is an easy resolution to this. modprobe appears to work on modules that came with the kernel source, if that's the right thing to say, here's the contents of /lib/modules:

root@boxotrix:/lib/modules# ls -al
total 8
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         2048 May  9 23:40 ./
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         2048 May  9 23:40 ../
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         2048 Apr 18 22:22 2.4.20/
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         2048 May  9 23:40 2.4.20-s.1/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            6 Apr 22 20:16 linux -> 2.4.20/
looks as though it's the remnants of a dodgy kernel recompile, but how do you think i would clean it up. is it as simple as deleting the offending 2.4.20-s.1/ and doing 'make install' again?

advTHANKSance ;-)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat May 10, 2003 5:07 pm

Yes, yes, yes, and yes (or something like that). You have to go by "uname -r". Whatever it reports is where the running kernel will look for the modules. Also don't forget the "depmod -a" (the Makefile might do that after installing). I have no idea why the Makefile can't figure out which kernel is running unless your kernel headers don't match your running kernel.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sun May 11, 2003 4:59 am

Calum wrote: advTHANKSance ;-)

Linus copier!

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon May 12, 2003 1:46 am

Tux wrote:
Calum wrote: advTHANKSance ;-)

Linus copier!
some sharp cookies in here! ;)
anything that's good enough for linus torvalds is good enough for me!

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon May 12, 2003 10:44 am

Calum wrote:some sharp cookies in here! ;)
I've never known cookies to be sharp, perhaps those embedded razor blades are somebody trying to kill you... :twisted:

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon May 12, 2003 11:19 am

you mean cookies don't usually have razor blades in them? :o

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 12, 2003 11:38 am

Only on Halloween.